Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Book Suggestions?

Hamaseh_SHamaseh_S Alum Member
in General 436 karma

Any good books suggestions that will shed some light into law school, prep, logic, stress, actually anything that might help during this study/pre-law process? Thanks :)

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited October 2017 23929 karma

You're looking for logic books pertaining to the LSAT?

For stress, I would recommend Performing Under Pressure:https://www.amazon.com/Performing-Under-Pressure-Science-Matters/dp/B00SYZR4AW

(Signed up for a free Audible trial and got the book for free from Amazon...)

This really helped me understanding stress and how it affects us when taking tests.

For logic, I re-read a book I used while taking a Philosophy class called "Introduction to Logic" by Gensler. This is definitely far more advanced than anything you'll see on the LSAT and it totally not necessary. I was just interested in learning the "why" behind all of the wonderful things I've learned going through JY's curriculum.

Just to be clear, I don't think any outside books are necessary to do well if you have a 7Sage package. That definitely includes lessons on all you need logic and otherwise.

• Hamaseh_SHamaseh_S Alum Member
    436 karma

For logic, I re-read a book I used while taking a Philosophy class called "Introduction to Logic" by Gensler.

>

Yesss this is exactly the type of book I'm looking for to 1) get a better understanding/background of logic and 2) get used to the language!!! since I come from a STEM background and this law school decision is fairly new (but 100% certain). I still need to get used to the style of writing, language, thought process,etc.....

Thanks!

• thisisspartathisissparta Alum Member
    edited October 2017 1363 karma

Thanks for starting this thread! Funnily enough, I was also googling suggestions on books concerning logic today. I'd appreciate it if anyone could add to the list!

OP, here's a couple of books that I stumbled on during my research and they seemed to be a good starting place:

i) A Rulebook for Arguments - Anthony Weston
    ii) Being Logical: A Guide to Good Thinking – D.Q. McInerny
    iii) Logic for Dummies (lol)
    iv) You Are Not So Smart - David McRaney
    v) Crimes Against Logic: Exposing the Bogus Arguments of Politicians, Priests, Journalists, and Other Serial Offenders – Jamie Whyte
    vi) The Art of Controversy – Arthur Schopenhauer
    vii) Thank You For Arguing: What Aristotle, Lincoln, And Homer Simpson Can Teach Us About the Art of Persuasion – Jay Heinrichs
    viii) An Introduction to Formal Logic - Peter Smith

Some other dense philosophical works on logic include Aristotle's "Rhetoric" and Ludwig Wittgenstein's "Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus".

Hope this helps!

If any other users could comment on the above list or suggest any other books, that'd be greatly appreciated!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited October 2017 23929 karma

@thisissparta said:
    Thanks for starting this thread! Funnily enough, I was also googling suggestions on books concerning logic today. I'd appreciate it if anyone could add to the list!

OP, here's a couple of books that I stumbled on during my research and they seemed to be a good starting place:

v) Crimes Against Logic: Exposing the Bogus Arguments of Politicians, Priests, Journalists, and Other Serial Offenders – Jamie Whyte
    vii) Thank You For Arguing: What Aristotle, Lincoln, And Homer Simpson Can Teach Us About the Art of Persuasion – Jay Heinrichs

Some other dense philosophical works on logic include Aristotle's "Rhetoric" and Ludwig Wittgenstein's "Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus".

Hope this helps!

If any other users could comment on the above list or suggest any other books, that'd be greatly appreciated!

I've read parts of "An Introduction to Formal Logic - Peter Smith" It's a great book, but like Gensler's Intro to Logic, it's crazy advanced for what the LSAT requires. Still, I think it's worth a read if you have the extra time. Both are great logic books but I like that Gensler's is broken up into 4 distinct parts. Chapters 1-8 are very basic logic that can help on the LSAT. The Other parts of the book are far more advanced and honestly, at least in my opinion, not going to help much with the logic one would find on the LSAT.

• CurlyQQQCurlyQQQ Alum Member
    295 karma

To answer the latter, I would also suggest the power of positive thinking. It's a lighter book, but it does go into how to combat stress. Not only that, it also goes into why/how our negative thought process forms in the first place. I really like it. Always makes me feel like a champion after reading a chapter.

• tams2018tams2018 Member
    727 karma

I would also like to co-sign Alex Divine's recommendation on the Intro to Logic book by Gensler.

I would recommend it to the test taker who doesn't even have a clue about logic.

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

I don't have any book recommendations but I do recommend learning flaws which will help you a bunch on the LSAT once you start studying more and more for it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies

you have the starter pack so I THINK (?) you have the 19 most common LSAT flaws list in your curriculum. those are very good to learn since they are more prevalent on the test, but others in the above link can be helpful as well.

for law school info, I'd say the best way is to just look stuff up online! look at all the different schools you're interested in, what their curriculum for 1L's is like compared to other schools (they are all for the most part the same though), other classes you may be interested in taking, in general anything about a law school, look up stuff about a day in the life of a law school and lawyers. all pretty interesting stuff if you want to learn more about that.

• thisisspartathisissparta Alum Member
    1363 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@thisissparta said:

Hope this helps!

I've read parts of "An Introduction to Formal Logic - Peter Smith" It's a great book, but like Gensler's Intro to Logic, it's crazy advanced for what the LSAT requires. Still, I think it's worth a read if you have the extra time. Both are great logic books but I like that Gensler's is broken up into 4 distinct parts. Chapters 1-8 are very basic logic that can help on the LSAT. The Other parts of the book are far more advanced and honestly, at least in my opinion, not going to help much with the logic one would find on the LSAT.

@tams2018 said:
    I would also like to co-sign Alex Divine's recommendation on the Intro to Logic book by Gensler.

I would recommend it to the test taker who doesn't even have a clue about logic.

Awesome, thanks guys!

436 karma

@TheMikey said:
    I don't have any book recommendations but I do recommend learning flaws which will help you a bunch on the LSAT once you start studying more and more for it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies

you have the starter pack so I THINK (?) you have the 19 most common LSAT flaws list in your curriculum. those are very good to learn since they are more prevalent on the test, but others in the above link can be helpful as well.

for law school info, I'd say the best way is to just look stuff up online! look at all the different schools you're interested in, what their curriculum for 1L's is like compared to other schools (they are all for the most part the same though), other classes you may be interested in taking, in general anything about a law school, look up stuff about a day in the life of a law school and lawyers. all pretty interesting stuff if you want to learn more about that.

Nice, thank you!!

436 karma

While waiting for responses (thank you everyone) I started this book called Don't Go To Law School (Unless)

PSA DONT read if you're hella sensitive but DO read if u want a nice slap in the face and proof (hopefully) you're right to enter law :smiley: I personally love it, I think it's a great reality check and kind of funny!!

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

I read this when I was trying to decide if law school was right for me. It gives a pretty good look into what law school is really like and was an interesting read.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/62082.Law_School_Confidential

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27858 karma

"All the Light We Cannot See" by Anthony Doerr is definitely worth a read. I think it will stand up to time and be remembered as one of the great novels of our era. I know that's not what this thread is about, but that's my rec of the day and I'm sticking to it!

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    edited October 2017 10789 karma

I am actually going to suggest Harry potter. It's pretty essential that after a tough day of studying that I recharge. So falling asleep to a world of magic that makes me happy and excited to be alive and awake is pretty important.

Also, Hermoine is a great inspiration for studying! :wink:

https://media0.giphy.com/media/Wom8RnZcrZF9C/giphy.gif
    https://media.giphy.com/media/TIRYJrdNgao1i/giphy.gif