Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to set a target score?

mzoodlemzoodle Member
in General 226 karma

How do we set a target score for the LSAT? Based upon what criteria?

Comments

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

Depends on what school(s) you are aiming for. You should aim as high as you can, but in general I would say it's best to get an LSAT score that is higher than a school's median so you can have a chance at some really good money, but it also depends on what your GPA is compared to the school(s) numbers.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited October 2017 23929 karma

@mzoodle said:

I actually hate the talk of setting target scores because we really should all have the same target score of 180. There's absolutely nothing to gain from aiming for anything less than perfect. I know that may seem a bit unhelpful and unrealistic for most, but the truth is that there is a lot of research that shows when we begin to aim lower, we really sell ourselves short. I've also searched the internet for all those who scored a 180, and the only thing I found they had in common was that they were all aiming for 180s. I wonder how many more perfect scores there would be on any given test if more were aiming for perfection?

For those looking for a strictly realistic and less ethereal answer, I would say the criteria is made up partly of your timeline, diagnostic/natural aptitude, discipline. What LSAT score is at the 75%-tile of the institutions you wish to attend is a helpful way to set a target score as well.

I look at it like this: Aim for a 180 while prepping and then set a score for which would be happy with and not retake.

• FerdaFreshFerdaFresh Alum Member
    561 karma

Another consideration for setting a target score is your post CC PT performance. A lot of people talk about their "potential" for improvement in relation to their "cold" -- or diagnostic -- score. But since the LSAT is so mechanical/learn-able, I think your reasonable target performance should be gauged after you've grasped the fundamentals of logic and general methods for each section/question type.

After seeing your post-CC performance patterns (e.g. sectional patterns, timing patterns, specific question stem patterns, etc.), you know what areas, in general, need improvement and you also likely have an idea about how you can go about improving as well. From there, you can set reasonable goals that would reflect your ability to score, say, 160, 165, 170, etc.

I'd also recommend setting shorter, malleable goals for yourself that appear less daunting (e.g. going from a 155 to 160), and then your "target" score can grow higher as your ability to score higher grows :)

• FerdaFreshFerdaFresh Alum Member
    561 karma

Addendum -- if you have a long timeline for studying, and you're not rushing for application deadlines, then @"Alex Divine"'s advice is prime!

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

Completely based on your target school and if you are giving yourself as much time as needed to get to the median of that school admission numbers.

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10789 karma

@mzoodle said:

I like to think of target score as the score that will make me competitive for the universities I want to apply to. So whatever their average or above average score will be -that will be my target score.

• Hamaseh_SHamaseh_S Alum Member
    edited October 2017 436 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@mzoodle said:

I actually I hate talk of setting target scores because we really should all have the same target score of 180. There's absolutely nothing to gain from aiming for anything less than perfect. I know that may seem a bit unhelpful and unrealistic for most, but the truth is that there is a lot of research that shows when we begin to aim lower, we really sell ourselves short. I've also searched the internet for all those who scored a 180, and the only thing I found they had in common was that they were all aiming for 180s. I wonder how many more perfect scores there would be on any given test if more were aiming for perfection?

Yo honestly this is the most solid piece of advice I've come across since starting LSAT prep.