Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can you apply to law school without an lsat score?

mzoodlemzoodle Member
in General 226 karma

In Canada one can apply, and send their documents to the school, and once you get your lsat score, your school will make an admission decision. Is the US like this, too, or do you need a score BEFORE you apply?

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Yeah, the US is similar in this regard. At most schools, your application will remain "on hold" until your LSAT score comes in. But technically, you can still apply.

• mzoodlemzoodle Member
    226 karma

If I am aiming to get a good scholarship from a US school, should I wait to get my LSAT score and then apply? (taking the dec. exam). It does not seem to make sense to apply to a school, if I want to get a good scholarship, without even knowing my score - particularly because scholarships depend on the LSAT score.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

The only way that it would make a difference is if you think that you might not want to apply at all if your LSAT ends up being lower than you'd hoped. Otherwise, it doesn't make any difference. They will receive your app, probably review portions of it then leave it on hold, and make final decisions after your score comes through. It doesn't change the amount of money you would get, as that decision won't happen until after they receive your LSAT score.

• mzoodlemzoodle Member
    226 karma

So, hypothetically, I can take the LSAT in December, and apply when I get my score, and still have the possibility of getting a scholarship? Am I at a disadvantage if I only apply in December with the December LSAT score, or, in February with the February score?

• sakox010sakox010 Member
    edited October 2017 333 karma

This gets really specific, but technically you can get into at least one law school without an LSAT score. My undergraduate university has a law school that's ranked ~20 by US News and the law school has a program only for that university's undergraduates that allows students to "apply" without ever having taking the LSAT. One absolute requirement is that your undergraduate GPA is above a 3.8. I'm not sure if they consider your LSAC GPA (important because of averaging re-takes) or the University's transcript GPA (only calculates the GPA using the grade you got during the re-take).

Along with that, you have to write an essay and there is also an interviewing process. The biggest caveat is that the application is binding so if you get accepted you can't go to law school anywhere else. One of my advisors mentioned this to me but once they explaining the binding decision part I lost all interest since ideally I'd like to go to a T14. The people that got in through this process seem happy though since the law school is the one of the best in the region and they didn't have to touch the LSAT.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@mzoodle said:
    So, hypothetically, I can take the LSAT in December, and apply when I get my score, and still have the possibility of getting a scholarship? Am I at a disadvantage if I only apply in December with the December LSAT score, or, in February with the February score?

Feb might be a bit on the later side, but that depends on the school.

December is usually fine.