Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WEAKEN

hihihi9993hihihi9993 Member
in General 342 karma

I just wanted to make sure my idea on weaken is correct.
Let's say we are given A-->B....
Can I Say "A(O) B(X) = Even when A was present, B did not appear" and "A(X) B(O) = Even when A didn't happen, B still did appear" to weaken [A --> B] ??????????

Comments

• acsimonacsimon Alum Member
    1269 karma

First, distinguish the material conditional "if...,then" from a straight causal statement. Sometimes "if..., then" statements express causal claims in English, but sometimes they don't (ex. "If I don't get above 170, then I'm not as good as JY at the LSAT"--not a causal claim). But the arrow --> usually is interpreted as a material conditional.

Second, you seem to be really talking about causal claims. Take one: A causes B.

This claim would be weakened if:

(1) A occurred without B occurring (I thought it caused B?)

(2) B occurs but A didn't (so something else causes?)

(3) B occurs before A (so backward causation is possible?)

(4) B and A occur at the same time (so, are they both caused by some third thing, C?)

(5) The evidence for A causes B relies on a small number of observations, fudges data, etc. (so I should be skeptical of the data that is supposed to support the claim?)

These are all the sorts of things which can go wrong with a causal claim. If you find an answer choice that does any one of these sorts of things with regard to a weaken question involving a causal statement, pick it!

A.c.S

• hihihi9993hihihi9993 Member
    342 karma

@acsimon Thank you so much! This is so helpful!!!! :)

• hihihi9993hihihi9993 Member
    342 karma

Ah. the correlation and causation lessons.... I need to revisit them!