Main Point/Weaken/Strengthen

abinandehabinandeh Alum Member
edited January 2014 in Logical Reasoning 91 karma
Currently I'm struggling with the LR section mainly because I can't consistently get the weakening questions correct. I do 90-100% on Main Point and Strengthen. Weakening questions on the other hand are a 50-50 accuracy. Anyone know how to improve?

Comments

• ENTJENTJ Alum Inactive ⭐
    3658 karma
    I think JY does a great job explaining the nature of weaken questions. May I ask what your thought process is when you're doing a weaken question?
  • abinandehabinandeh Alum Member
    91 karma
    For some reason I have difficulty identifying the appropriate answer choice to weaken the support between Premise and Conclusion. What are some tips or techniques you use to identify the gap in an argument.
    3658 karma
    Remember that you have two chances of getting the right answer: 1) You know absolutely why the right answer choice is correct. 2) You know absolutely why the other four answer choices are wrong.

If you have a hard time seeing how a specific answer choice weakens the relationship between the premise and conclusion--you can certainly eliminate the four wrong answer choices that do not weaken.

Do you remember the picture of Goku, the energy beam, and the car? In a weaken question, you're essentially thinning out the beam. What does this mean? You're bringing in alternate causes to dilute (weaken) the beam of support.

Also, this may seem superfluous...but if you aren't already--label out what exactly is the premise and conclusion. This provides a visual cue that allows your brain to focus and work a lot less than needed.
  • abinandehabinandeh Alum Member
    91 karma
    It's difficult to label out the stimulus when we view it from the video. Do you guys print out those questions? Or do you just mentally take note of the premise(s) and conclusion.
    3658 karma
    Mentally take note of it. Trust me, when I was doing my previous LSAT prep...I was unnecessarily active when it came to marking up the stimulus. You just need to condition yourself to segment the stimulus in the proper parts that are necessary.