Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Professional email addresses.

Hi all!

I know the advice is to have a professional style email address for use in admissions. But what counts as professional? For many years I've used a hotmail account which is simply my first and last name @ hotmail.com

Is that suitable? Or should I be ditching hotmail after all these years?

"hotmail.com" email address
  1. Get rid of my "hotmail.com" email address?27 votes
    1. Yes
      33.33%
    2. No
      66.67%

Comments

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

As long as the e-mail address isn't "xxxGETDRUNKTONIGHTxxx@hotmail.com" or something like that I think any are okay. First/Last combo is typical and professional. I would not worry!

• Freddy_DFreddy_D Core Member
    2983 karma

I just made another email account specifically for admissions/LSAC stuff. It took 2 minutes and now all my law school stuff will be contained within this one email account.

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

Logistically, what @Freddy_D did is a great idea, but as @LSATcantwin said, a hotmail or gmail account is not a problem. When people argue for "professional" they mean not to use a cutesy or potentially embarrassing domain or user name. For example, don't use rigiddestructor@hotmail.com

• Rigid DesignatorRigid Designator Alum Member
    edited October 2017 1091 karma

@Freddy_D said:
    I just made another email account specifically for admissions/LSAC stuff. It took 2 minutes and now all my law school stuff will be contained within this one email account.

I have one kind of like that too (an alternate Gmail account) but in the past I've used my hotmail account to contact schools, and even some particular professors. I figured it would be more consistent to keep using this email address.

@LSATcantwin said:
    As long as the e-mail address isn't "xxxGETDRUNKTONIGHTxxx@hotmail.com" or something like that I think any are okay. First/Last combo is typical and professional. I would not worry!

Yeah, thankfully I dodged that bullet as a teenager. I'm probably being overly-cautious, but I figured it doesn't hurt to field everyone's opinion on the topic.

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

I applied to undergrad with the email address HebrewHammer8888... I was too stubborn to change it but if I could go back, I think I would reconsider :blush:

13286 karma

@jkatz1488 said:
    I applied to undergrad with the email address HebrewHammer8888... I was too stubborn to change it but if I could go back, I think I would reconsider :blush:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51EG8rXufTL.jpg

• Trust But VerifyTrust But Verify Alum Member
    432 karma

@jkatz1488 said:

Respect

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27860 karma

I don't think there's anything unpro about who your email is with. I mean, you don't want myname@xxxgirlsgirlsgirlsxxx.com, but other than that I think you're good with your name. The only thing I think of any major email services is aol.com is kinda funny. DI bet a lot of you guys don't even know that back in the day it was basically synonymous with the internet. Now I think it's mostly for old people haha.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Hotmail is completely fine. My boomer manager at my job still uses hotmail for his personal account.

@jkatz1488 LOL I'm pretty sure mine was "PrettymuchAlex" or something ridiculous back when I applied to undergrad. Got into some great schools so hopefully "HebrewHammer8888" didn't set you back, haha. ;)

edited October 2017 13286 karma

@"Cant Get Right" said:
    I don't think there's anything unpro about who your email is with. I mean, you don't want myname@xxxgirlsgirlsgirlsxxx.com, but other than that I think you're good with your name. The only thing I think of any major email services is aol.com is kinda funny. DI bet a lot of you guys don't even know that back in the day it was basically synonymous with the internet. Now I think it's mostly for old people haha.

https://buthard.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/aol.jpg

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Nothing to do with professionalism, but coincidentally I just saw this line on UC Davis's application instructions:

"E-mail will be the primary means of communication for both the admission and financial aid offices. Applicants must provide an e-mail address for this purpose. It is advised not to use hotmail accounts as your primary email address as we have experienced difficulties with applicants receiving email from the university to hotmail addresses."

So if you're applying to UC Davis, you'll have to come up with something else! Hahah

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

@Freddy_D said:

Oo stealing this. Smart.

• sakox010sakox010 Member
    333 karma

Just don't make it GeorgeTTTown@hotmail.com or something silly like that

• sillllyxosillllyxo Alum Member
    708 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

@jkatz1488 said:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51EG8rXufTL.jpg

lol i laughed so hard out loud at this