Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Verdict: Feb a good idea? Or should I wait till next cycle?

JesseBearJesseBear Alum Member
edited October 2017 in General 40 karma

I imagine this question has been addressed before, so I apologize; however, I'm asking your final, personal opinion on the question of taking the February exam. If I feel ready, should I take it? Or should I wait to apply next cycle?

Thanks in advance 7sage

Comments

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

If you're ready to take the exam, then you should. If you decide not to apply this cycle, then you can use the score next cycle.

If you can get your application together, why not apply this cycle? You can make a decision once you find out what offers you receive.

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    edited October 2017 9377 karma

@jessebtrujillo said:
    I imagine this question has been addressed before, so I apologize; however, I'm asking your final, personal opinion on the question of taking the February exam. If I feel ready, should I take it? Or should I wait to apply next cycle?

Thanks in advance 7sage

I don't know your situation (goal score v. your current score), so I don't know what to consider.... but does the school you'd like to go to take the February score for this cycle? If yes, then I don't know why you should wait if you are ready.

• Paul PedersonPaul Pederson Member
    903 karma

I'm sitting this Feb, however I visited my target score to ensure they take the Feb LSAT for this fall's L1 and that it would have no bearing on the decision process. I agree with akistotle, if you're ready for it and you know it take it!

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

If you feel ready definitely take it. Even if you don't apply this round, your score will be good for next round.

• JesseBearJesseBear Alum Member
    40 karma

Thanks for the responses all, it seems like for most schools Feb isn't too much of a disadvantage. If I deem I'm ready then I'll apply!

• tylerdschreur10tylerdschreur10 Alum Member
    1465 karma

A big factor to consider is financial aid, by the time your score is released most aid will be gone. So while schools may accept you just as easily as they would've in october, you're probably going to pay more. That said if you crush it, they'll still throw money at you, and if you get a more reasonable score, you can still apply, evaluate your options, and potentially apply for 2019

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

If you're looking to improve your score by 10 points between now and February, I would wait. If you're looking to improve by 5 points and generally feel ready, tackle it! You can always retake it. I plan on taking it in both February and June. I'm applying for 2019 so that I can actually take it more than once, and I will have a chance at scholarship.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

Couldn't you take it and apply next cycle? Then if you get a score lower than you expect, you can retake with the security of the February score in your pocket. That's what I did this year. I took in February and retook in September.