Not ready for December Exam !!! :(

lapuccio83lapuccio83 Alum Member
in General 102 karma

Hello 7 sage community & world,

The title is pretty self-explanatory-- unfortunately, I'm not ready for the December 2017 LSAT.

Currently, my life belongs, mostly,to my full-time job :) (can you tell this smiley is the most sarcasm-filled face ever?!)

I work about 40-45 hours a week, which I will say is quite moderate in comparison to others' hours I have seen on 7sage, but what this means for me is simply that I do not have the time to treat the LSAT as a full-time job, as my I whole-heartedly believe should be done if you have the time, because I still have other responsibilities in my life.

Here is my plan: Apply for the 2018-2019 cycle.

So, while I know this gives me a comfortable amount of time to study for June, I'm afraid changing my exam date won't be a good look for me, given that I was supposed to test in September, but ultimately decided not to. On top of that, if I were to make my desired score on the June 18 exam, I'd still be considered a super-splitter :(

Wise people, what do you all recommend? Take the exam on December 2017, to the best of my current abilities, or, take in June 2018 with better chances of being able to score a 170+ ?

I appreciate all of you !!! TIA

Help me decide!! (also, please give me your written thoughts, I really do value everyone's opinion!)
  1. Should I take the December LSAT?70 votes
    1. Aye
      32.86%
    2. Nay
      58.57%
    3. I'm also obsessed with the Sons of Anarchy & understand this option is irrelevant
        8.57%

Comments

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

If you're not ready, there's no question in my mind. Of course you delay. The fact that you're O,K. with waiting until next cycle makes this an even easier question. I don't really hear an argument in favor of taking. BTW, why June 18 and not September 18? It'll give you a few more months, which I'm sure will be welcome given your very busy schedule.

• cyepiz87cyepiz87 Member
    22 karma

I'm in the same boat. While I have been studying, it just isn't enough for me to fully grasp those little things that are causing me to get the wrong answer. I registered for December and still plan on taking it. I have a month left to study my ass off. Best of luck!

• lsattaker10lsattaker10 Free Trial Member
    76 karma

Hey! I've definitely been in the same boat before. I've been pushing off LSAT studying for a good 2 years prior because of work. Honestly, I wanted to do the June LSAT this year, but started part time studying in mid-April. So then I pushed it to September. Making myself take this exam very seriously, I took 2 months off unpaid leave from work from August to Sept to study full time. That helped LOADS. But it was only 2 months. So I finally postponed to December...and changed my hours to part time to accommodate for studying.

If you're planning on shooting for next cycle, make yourself study to the best of your abilities for the June LSAT. That way, you can gauge if you're ready prior to registering for the exam. If you still dont feel ready, prepare for the Sept LSAT. The earlier the better so you at least you have 4 shots for 2018-2019 cycle (June 18, Sept 18, Dec 18, Feb 19).

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

While I do love SOA, I think the obvious answer is to postpone. There's really no good argument I can conceive of as to why you'd take it instead of waiting. Like @uhinberg mentioned, the fact you're OK with waiting until next cycle makes this a no-brainer.

Keep studying and plan to take next year!

https://media.giphy.com/media/BM7wCwluFW8ne/giphy.gif

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

It sounds from your post that you might be under the impression that schools can see if you postponed your LSAT date? They definitely cannot! They will see if you take the test and cancel your score, but withdrawing and changing to another date has no repercussions (other than monetarily, haha). I've personally pushed back from both June and September.

I'm taking in December because I'm committed to applying this cycle and think I can get close to where I want. But also leaving the door open, so that if acceptances/scholarships are not what I need, then I'll keep studying and re-take in June for next cycle also. But it sounds like if you are definitely not ready for December, you're fine with delaying and I'd probably choose that if I were you. That said, you can withdraw all the way up to the day before the test (December 1) so you could keep studying and really grind, and then by the end of Nov or December 1, withdraw. Just a thought!

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

@"Leah M B" said:
    It sounds from your post that you might be under the impression that schools can see if you postponed your LSAT date?

Good point! Sounds like you've been practicing necessary assumption questions!

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

@uhinberg said:

@"Leah M B" said:
    It sounds from your post that you might be under the impression that schools can see if you postponed your LSAT date?

Good point! Sounds like you've been practicing necessary assumption questions!

hahahahaha

Oh, the things that LSAT study does to our brains.

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

I would delay. If you can score 4-5 points higher by taking the exam in June, you'll be happy that you waited-- especially if you're trying to break the 170 point. I'm sure you know this, but the differences between a 163 and a 168 or a 166 and a 170 are huge. Those are just examples; I have no idea how you're scoring now. Anyway, it looks like most people are also saying to delay. I just think that it's worth the better school and/or scholarship money to wait. Also, just being more prepared will make you more confident. Confidence is key to not losing points from "freezing up".

• lapuccio83lapuccio83 Alum Member
    102 karma

Thank you everyone for your replies! I love this 7sage community, and I'm extremely grateful for the all the constructive feedback I received; y'all really helped me to come to what, I believe, is the best decision- postpone to the June 2018 exam.

102 karma

@uhinberg said:
    If you're not ready, there's no question in my mind. Of course you delay. The fact that you're O,K. with waiting until next cycle makes this an even easier question. I don't really hear an argument in favor of taking. BTW, why June 18 and not September 18? It'll give you a few more months, which I'm sure will be welcome given your very busy schedule.

Thanks for replying! I decided June 2018 so I would have room for error, so if anything went wrong as it often does, I can retake in September and still apply early in the cycle.

@cyepiz87 said:
    I'm in the same boat. While I have been studying, it just isn't enough for me to fully grasp those little things that are causing me to get the wrong answer. I registered for December and still plan on taking it. I have a month left to study my ass off. Best of luck!

Best of luck to you, I will be sending good vibes your way! :)

@lsattaker10 said:
    Hey! I've definitely been in the same boat before. I've been pushing off LSAT studying for a good 2 years prior because of work. Honestly, I wanted to do the June LSAT this year, but started part time studying in mid-April. So then I pushed it to September.

Hey! I realize it's a long process for some of us, and like you, I will happily take as much time as necessary knowing it will be to my benefit; I admire how relentless you are, and wish you a good 180 for the September exam! You can believe I will keep your advice in mind for my study planning.

@"Alex Divine" said:
    While I do love SOA, I think the obvious answer is to postpone. There's really no good argument I can conceive of as to why you'd take it instead of waiting. Like @uhinberg mentioned, the fact you're OK with waiting until next cycle makes this a no-brainer.

Keep studying and plan to take next year!

https://media.giphy.com/media/BM7wCwluFW8ne/giphy.gif

I always shed a tear, maybe, maybe, even two, every time I watch this episode! I'm definitely postponing, and feel much better now. Thanks for the reply, and if I remember correctly you are leading a June 2018 exam group, I will definitely be joining :)

@"Leah M B" said:
    It sounds from your post that you might be under the impression that schools can see if you postponed your LSAT date? They definitely cannot!

I'm taking in December because I'm committed to applying this cycle and think I can get close to where I want.

Girl, I was definitely under that impression and I'm thankful that I was completely wrong! I also pushed back my September exam, I actually cancelled the night prior to the exam, but I will now be paying the extra fee $$ ( :( ) to change it to June 2018, though, I'm certain I will see good returns as far as points go!

Best of luck in December!

@"samantha.ashley92" said:
    I would delay. If you can score 4-5 points higher by taking the exam in June, you'll be happy that you waited-- especially if you're trying to break the 170 point. I'm sure you know this, but the differences between a 163 and a 168 or a 166 and a 170 are huge. Those are just examples; I have no idea how you're scoring now. Anyway, it looks like most people are also saying to delay. I just think that it's worth the better school and/or scholarship money to wait. Also, just being more prepared will make you more confident. Confidence is key to not losing points from "freezing up".

Oh yes! The difference in returns between a 171 and173, for a splitter like me, could mean sticker price and $30-50k a year from the data I've looked at, and that's exactly why I want to maximize my chances at a good score! From what some friends who've successfully scored 173+ have told me, confidence is the key to that score, and for them, that was taking over 30 PTs under real conditions! Thanks for you feedback Samantha, I'm certain after reading everyone's comments that delaying is my best option! :)

• tylerdschreur10tylerdschreur10 Alum Member
    1465 karma

I definitely agree, postpone until June. June is great because A) you can study for an extra 6 months. B) you still have the option to postpone or retake is September and stay ahead of the pack for apps.

My advice would be try to set a schedule that allows 10-20 hours of focused study per week starting now until June. Pace yourself and schedule breaks so that you don't burn out, and make sure when june rolls around youre as prepared as humanly possible.
    I also think you should take the test in June, even if you feel like pushing back to September. Many people struggle on their first take, either nerves or test center issues or who knows what. I tested in June, was a nervous wreck, retook in September and felt like I crushed it. (I scored exactly the same however, so life's a mystery to me) My point is there is no way to completely familiarize yourself with the LSAT without taking it with the chips down.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

@lapuccio83, It looks like I have a somewhat similar schedule. What phase of studying are you in now?

• Trust But VerifyTrust But Verify Alum Member
    432 karma

why is Feb test not being considered?

• kmzz7036kmzz7036 Live Member
    26 karma

I'm in the same boat as you and decided to wait until next June to take the LSAT. Work is just way too hectic right now for me to commit to studying as much as I had hoped to. I'd rather wait out this cycle of apps, put in the time for the LSAT, and feel good and confident (as much as one can I guess lol) when I apply instead of rushing to get everything done in time. Like others have said, the more time you study, the better you'll do. Aim for the June LSAT. That gives you a solid 6+ months of studying, an extra LSAT in September if you need to retake, and ample time to get your application together. Good luck, friend.

• DaITGirlDaITGirl Member
    13 karma

I say you should go ahead and take it just to get a sense of how the exam is. However, if you feel you are absolutely not prepared for it...I say way it out.

102 karma

@lsatplaylist said:
    @lapuccio83, It looks like I have a somewhat similar schedule. What phase of studying are you in now?

Well, technically, I'm 30% through with the CC, however, I didn't follow the study schedule-- I kind of just went through LR :/ so even though I understood I decided to start over and follow the 7sage study schedule.

102 karma

@lapuccio83 said:

@lsatplaylist said:

I guess I didn't address your question though, I'm still in the study phase, haven't started PT'ing yet. What about you?

102 karma

@kmzz7036 said:
    I'm in the same boat as you and decided to wait until next June to take the LSAT. Work is just way too hectic right now for me to commit to studying as much as I had hoped to. I'd rather wait out this cycle of apps, put in the time for the LSAT, and feel good and confident (as much as one can I guess lol) when I apply instead of rushing to get everything done in time. Like others have said, the more time you study, the better you'll do. Aim for the June LSAT. That gives you a solid 6+ months of studying, an extra LSAT in September if you need to retake, and ample time to get your application together. Good luck, friend.

Good luck to you too! :)

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

@lapuccio83, We're in similar phases, then--I haven't gotten to PTs, either and I still have most of the lessons on here to get through. I'd be glad to talk more. And also to talk with @kmzz7036.