PT31.S3.Q23 - although finalism

yeshesviniyeshesvini Member
edited November 2017 in Logical Reasoning 113 karma

https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-31-section-3-question-23/

would it be a good way to think alternative to JY's explanation that answer choice B is wrong merely in having few as the existential indicator rather than a universal indicator as in the stimulus and correct answer choice C...

i just find JY's thinking perhaps like the flip side of a coin to be a tad bit confusing....

any thoughts?

:)

Comments

• thisisspartathisissparta Alum Member
    edited November 2017 1363 karma

That could potentially be a key differentiating factor - i.e., the use of the existential vs. universal quantifier.

That said, if AC (C) were to have begun with the phrase "few bicycle engineers believe...", I think it would've still stood as the right AC. The reason why is because in the ACs we're looking for an answer where the author takes on a contrarian view based on the rejection of one individual's nuanced viewpoint from within the majority. It's not so much the use of the quantifier then, but rather how closely the AC mimics the stimulus.

• yeshesviniyeshesvini Member
    113 karma

agree....but that is exactly what is going on in answer choice b too if we read closely.....few deny, one denies, but flaw in the method used hence rejected by author in favour of contrary view...the only difference between answer choices b and c being in c it is a universal quantifier with all ....

• thisisspartathisissparta Alum Member
    edited November 2017 1363 karma

@yeshesvini said:
    agree....but that is exactly what is going on in answer choice b too if we read closely.....few deny, one denies, but flaw in the method used hence rejected by author in favour of contrary view...the only difference between answer choices b and c being in c it is a universal quantifier with all ....

Nope. The author is taking the view of the majority in AC (B). He's agreeing with the majority of the botanist community who purport the view that the ferns are the same species as represented by the fossils, by rejecting the view of the "botanists who first discovered the specimen" (i.e., the minority).

AC (C), as pointed out earlier, underscores a contrarian view (i.e., a view which rejects popular opinion) on part of the author. He does this by rejecting the nuanced argument of one person from within the majority. This most closely resembles the stimulus.

There's a vast difference between the dynamics of each AC.

• yeshesviniyeshesvini Member
    113 karma

brilliant!!! just had an aha moment!! thank uuu!!