Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New NA and SA difficulties

LivePumpkinLivePumpkin Free Trial Member
edited November 2017 in General 270 karma

The new NA and SA questions in PT 70 onward are killing me. I thought I had a strong grasp of them since I did well on almost all of them from PTs 52 - 69. And now I feel super discouraged and feel as if I am not even good at them anymore...

Any advice?

Comments

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    edited November 2017 9377 karma

I've only done PT70-74 and PT78, but I don't find a big difference from the ones in the earlier PTs. Could you give us an example of a question that gave you trouble?

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    edited November 2017 10774 karma

Hey,

PT 70 series is not that different from PT 69 or the 60 series. So although there are definitely differences between PT 10 and PT 70 the change has been gradual. But even with that the change in logic is not much; logic has stayed the same for centuries.

What I think maybe happening is that It's not uncommon to start doing bad on certain question types and a lot of people, even the ones scoring in 170s, have to constantly go back to the core-curriculum to keep up their knowledge and do drilling based on question types.

I think its good that you identified a weakness during a PT. It's normal for new weaknesses to emerge as you do new practice tests. It just means you need to review the core curriculum for that question type and do some drilling. It's just part of the process.

• LivePumpkinLivePumpkin Free Trial Member
    270 karma

Thank you both for the reassurance! Do you think I should stop doing PTs and times sections and, instead, focus more on NA and SA?

And yes! The questions were: PT 70, section 1, Q21. Section 4, Q. 20.

There are other Assumption questions in these two PTs that I didn’t get wrong but took a LONG time to figure out...

270 karma

I feel like I’ve read (and tried to some extent) so many things to get better at these NA and SA questions, but I’ve always had trouble with them. They are also my only consistent weakness in the LR sections.

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    edited November 2017 9377 karma

@LivePumpkin said:
    Thank you both for the reassurance! Do you think I should stop doing PTs and times sections and, instead, focus more on NA and SA?

If you think that's your weakness, yes, I think you should drill them :)

And yes! The questions were: PT 70, section 1, Q21. Section 4, Q. 20.

I think these two are pretty cookie-cutter bridging-type NA questions. So drilling NA questions would help you!

270 karma

Thank you so much! How would you recommend I go about drilling?

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10774 karma

@LivePumpkin said:

Yes, after every PT you should set aside time to focus on drilling out the weaknesses. PT's should be used to gauge out your weakness but changes in scores happen when we design our study schedule based on the weaknesses that the PT showed us. The next PT should not be taken till you feel you have addressed the issues your last PT showed us.

@LivePumpkin said:
    Thank you so much! How would you recommend I go about drilling?

After you have reviewed the core-curriculum for that question type, you should formulate a strategy you should be doing during the drill for that question type. For example, if you were pre-phrasing for NA, you want to drill NA questions without pre-phrasing. Reviewing the curriculum should give you an idea where you were going wrong and the drill should be designed to focus on executing that particular weakness out.

You can start doing the drill untimed. The focus should be on doing the questions the right way and as the process becomes second nature you should get faster at it.

Once you have drilled all the weakness you had identified you should take the next PT. Then based on the analytics you will probably have new issues you will need to work on and do some more drilling. It's pretty much part of the process. As you get better in some things, the other areas that you were better at now need to be worked on. But this just means you are progressing on eliminating weaknesses and getting better.