Flurry of Questions! - Admissions

Hello all,
My first question is about writing an addendum or two. I got an unusually very very low GPA my second semester of freshman year. about .5 below my usual GPA. Should I write an addendum? Also I always took 5 or 6 classes a semester and my GPA is a little lower than it could have been. Is that grounds for an addendum? I also graduated a semester early from University. Will law schools look at that favorably?

Also I have been getting the stock emails from law schools...but a few have been from pretty good schools. I know they send them out to the masses. Even still should this give me hope or should I brush it aside?

I forwarded my transcript to LSAC and they received it. It occurred to me that I should get a copy myself so I can make sure there aren't any errors in it. If I find an error what should i do?

Thanks in advance for your time in answering my questions!

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"Caleb.rohr.church" said:
    Hello all,
    My first question is about writing an addendum or two. I got an unusually very very low GPA my second semester of freshman year. about .5 below my usual GPA. Should I write an addendum? Also I always took 5 or 6 classes a semester and my GPA is a little lower than it could have been. Is that grounds for an addendum? I also graduated a semester early from University. Will law schools look at that favorably?

Also I have been getting the stock emails from law schools...but a few have been from pretty good schools. I know they send them out to the masses. Even still should this give me hope or should I brush it aside?

I forwarded my transcript to LSAC and they received it. It occurred to me that I should get a copy myself so I can make sure there aren't any errors in it. If I find an error what should i do?

Hey!

1. So it depends on the reason for the low GPA. However, just taking 5 or 6 classes certainly isn't grounds for writing an addendum.

2. Graduating a semester early probably won't have any affect on your application. It certainly won't hurt though.

3. Stock emails are very common. Have you taken the LSAT yet?

4. If you find any errors, email or call the LSAC. While they are super uncommon, there have definitely been people who have found errors on their transcripts. Always worth triple checking!

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

@"Alex Divine" while we are on this topic, I would love your addendum opinion. I had a 2.6 my first semester of college in 2010. I took a break from school and transferred in 2014. I had a 3.8+ for a year and a half at that school. I transferred to an online program and I have a 3.99, almost finished with my degree. I also technically transferred somewhere else in 2011 but I withdrew from all classes (not WF). Should I write one related to my 2010 GPA or why I transferred multiple times? I'm assuming yes for the transfers.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"samantha.ashley92" said:
    @"Alex Divine" while we are on this topic, I would love your addendum opinion. I had a 2.6 my first semester of college in 2010. I took a break from school and transferred in 2014. I had a 3.8+ for a year and a half at that school. I transferred to an online program and I have a 3.99, almost finished with my degree. I also technically transferred somewhere else in 2011 but I withdrew from all classes (not WF). Should I write one related to my 2010 GPA or why I transferred multiple times? I'm assuming yes for the transfers.

Hey Samantha,

I PM'd you my reply.

• Caleb.rohr.churchCaleb.rohr.church Alum Member
    72 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

Hello all,

Hey!

1. So it depends on the reason for the low GPA. However, just taking 5 or 6 classes certainly isn't grounds for writing an addendum.

2. Graduating a semester early probably won't have any affect on your application. It certainly won't hurt though.

4. If you find any errors, email or call the LSAC. While they are super uncommon, there have definitely been people who have found errors on their transcripts. Always worth triple checking!

Thanks for replying Daniel. I did not think just taking 5 or 6 classes would be grounds for an addendum. I was wondering however if the fact that the school signed me an advisor for the first semester freshman year but I I didn't have him the second semester. And then fall semester of my next year it popped back up after the adjustment period. The advisor basically helped keep me on track and helped with homework.

I have taken the LSAT and I'm going to take it February. I was way below my potential on one section due to nerves about doing poorly on what later turned out to be the experimental section.

I feel like graduation early shows that I'm a finisher and I like to achieve. Is there a way to illuminate that in the application?

Thanks so much - Caleb

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

Hello all,

Hey!

Thanks for replying Daniel. I did not think just taking 5 or 6 classes would be grounds for an addendum. I was wondering however if the fact that the school signed me an advisor for the first semester freshman year but I I didn't have him the second semester. And then fall semester of my next year it popped back up after the adjustment period. The advisor basically helped keep me on track and helped with homework.

I have taken the LSAT and I'm going to take it February. I was way below my potential on one section due to nerves about doing poorly on what later turned out to be the experimental section.

I feel like graduation early shows that I'm a finisher and I like to achieve. Is there a way to illuminate that in the application?

Thanks so much - Caleb

Hey Caleb,

No problem. I think you can find plenty of creative ways to show you are a finisher and achiever and tie them into your application. In any case, I think admissions will see from your transcript that you were able to finish in 3 years.

Good luck :star: