Negating "all" conditional statement - I need some clarity

During question #2 of Negate Quiz #4, it states that:
Every doctor in this hospital is qualified to work on combating the city’s zombie epidemic.

Wouldn’t the logical negation be “not all doctors” instead of “some doctors….are not”, the reason being that “every" implies 100%, thus a binary division would mean 0-99, which translates as "not all", whereas “some...are not” translates as 1-99. Or is it the case that since we are negating the conditional relationship, it cannot include 0, which translates to “none”, which is a universal quantifier which implies a conditional relationship. Thus, 1-99 or “some” is the correct negation because it implies inter sectional relationship only and precludes a conditional relationship.

I would truly appreciate some feedback, because I trying to address any misconceptions.

Comments

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

Seems to me you are working on the wrong end. We don’t care about the lower end.

• Every doctor = 100% of the Doctors

In order to negate this we need to show that at least 1 doctor is not qualified.

• Some doctors are not qualified = at least 1 doctor isn’t qualified

• not all doctor are qualified = at least 1 doctor isn’t qualified.

They both work to negate it. We are working from 100% and have to show that 100% is not the case. We don’t care where it lands as long as it’s not 100%

If we have 10 doctor and every one is qualified then 10 doctors are qualified.

Some are not - means 1 or more are not which leaves us 9 or less.

Not all - means 1 or more are not which leaves us 9 or less.

• Prudenter DiscerePrudenter Discere Alum Member
    234 karma

I truly appreciate your clarity. Thank you for breaking this down for me. Shifting my lenses and focus. Basically when I am negating "100%". I need to show that the negated world has at least 1 or more are not, instead of focusing on the range of the are nots.