Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My really bad looking AA degree dilemma

doyeradoyera Alum Member

So I did a program called running start in high school and took some college level classes, starting in Fall of 2004. I started with just one class that quarter. I graduated HS in spring 06 with 55 college credits completed. I proceeded to take a few more classes including some lower level math classes I needed, but then took some time off Winter 07 to get my pilot's license. I returned to school in Fall 08 working full time and going to school part time and finally graduated in Spring 09. So what this means is I have to list my Comm College years of attendance as 04 - 09. On paper it looks like it took me 5 years to get a 2 year degree! In a way, it did, but it wasn't as if I graduated high school and went to school immediately after. It was a long winding path including a break to get my pilot's license which was a career I thought I might want to get in to at the time. I didn't have the slightest inkling back then of wanting to go to graduate school...now I'm realizing it is making my resume look really bad.

So I guess my question is, does anyone have any thoughts on how I can make it look less terrible on my resume? They're going to get a transcript so leaving it off completely seems like I'm trying to be deceptive. Will the adcom think this is super unusual? Any guidance is appreciated.

Comments

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

By writing and addendum explaining the situation like you just did here! But you’re a non-traditional student (like me) and we have gaps. I have a 4 year military gap in my 2 year degee. So I’m going to write an addendum to explain the break!! It won’t hurt you, non-traditional students applications always look a bit different, because well, we are non-traditional! Haha

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

The application questions will probably ask about gaps, and you have a solid explanation. This is good. Seems like things are going to be fine.

• StothentothekStothentothek Free Trial Member
    69 karma

I took over a decade to complete my undergrad, mostly part time (finishing up full time right now) while I built up a career. My personal statement discusses the path I chose and my reasons for that, and in addition I got permission from the admissions committees where I am applying to use a professional reference in place of academic. I'm not in yet, but I would be surprised if it detracted from my chances. If you are worried include some of it in your personal statement or in an addendum!

• Jonathan W SJonathan W S Alum Member
    35 karma

@Stothentothek said:
    I took over a decade to complete my undergrad, mostly part time (finishing up full time right now) while I built up a career. My personal statement discusses the path I chose and my reasons for that, and in addition I got permission from the admissions committees where I am applying to use a professional reference in place of academic. I'm not in yet, but I would be surprised if it detracted from my chances. If you are worried include some of it in your personal statement or in an addendum!

Same.
    And most of the applications ask you to explain any gaps in your education timeline in the education tab of the application.

• doyeradoyera Alum Member
    47 karma

Okay excellent I feel much better now. Thank you all for you your feedback :)