Kaplan/Barron's/test prep books without real LSAT questions for starting

firefoxsparkfirefoxspark Free Trial Member
in General 7 karma

I've heard form multiple sources that reccommend that I only buy books that use real LSAT questions (unlike Kaplan, Barro's, etc)

I have over a year to study for the LSAT, and am fairly new to the thought process of the LSAT. I'm also a broke college student, so I'd prefer not to buy test prep books right away.

My plan is to get myself familiar with information/examples from free resources (online, library, etc) and then eventually buy the books with real LSAT questions. I've been cycling around libraries in my area and most of them seem to have recent copies of test prep books without real LSAT questions, so I figured I'd start there. (Also, some of the libraries have books with real LSAT questions... my wallet thanks me)

Would you suggest using test prep books with made up LSAT questions/no real LSAT questions to start as an introduction to the types of questions/sections? Or is it a big no-no?

Additionally, I was looking at targeted books for improving certain sections. Not so much LSAT use, but in general-- for example, my library has a lot of books that seem to be more education based, like "Reading Comprehension for College Students." I figured I'd also look at those for potential strategies to combat the Reading Comprehension section.

Comments

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    edited December 2017 3279 karma

@firefoxspark said:
    I've heard form multiple sources that reccommend that I only buy books that use real LSAT questions (unlike Kaplan, Barro's, etc)

I have over a year to study for the LSAT, and am fairly new to the thought process of the LSAT. I'm also a broke college student, so I'd prefer not to buy test prep books right away.

My plan is to get myself familiar with information/examples from free resources (online, library, etc) and then eventually buy the books with real LSAT questions. I've been cycling around libraries in my area and most of them seem to have recent copies of test prep books without real LSAT questions, so I figured I'd start there. (Also, some of the libraries have books with real LSAT questions... my wallet thanks me)

Would you suggest using test prep books with made up LSAT questions/no real LSAT questions to start as an introduction to the types of questions/sections? Or is it a big no-no?

Additionally, I was looking at targeted books for improving certain sections. Not so much LSAT use, but in general-- for example, my library has a lot of books that seem to be more education based, like "Reading Comprehension for College Students." I figured I'd also look at those for potential strategies to combat the Reading Comprehension section.

@firefoxspark
    Have you taken a PT yet? I think it's a good idea to take a PT before you give this too much thought.

1 year isn't that much time. I see no problem with checking out quality LSAT books from the library, but I think you're wasting your time if you head straight to supplementary material.

• firefoxsparkfirefoxspark Free Trial Member
    edited December 2017 7 karma

@10000019 Yes. I took the Preptest June 2007 test and scored 144. It was my first time taking it.

You said that 1 year isn't that much time. Is that based on how many hours I should study per week? How much time would be ideal?

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9377 karma

I agree with @10000019. I recommend that you should take June 2007 PrepTest and see where you're at: http://www.lsac.org/jd/pdfs/SamplePTJune.pdf

You might be one of those people who can get high 160s without studying. In that case, maybe you can buy some Preptests and use 7Sage's free course (LG).

• JPJ July2021JPJ July2021 Core Member
    1532 karma

It’s never a good idea to use books with unofficial LSAT questions. I advise against this. While books on logic could be beneficial, the LSAT requires very specific knowledge and skills. I would only use materials geared specifically for the LSAT.

9377 karma

@firefoxspark said:
    @10000019 Yes. I took the Preptest June 2007 test and scored 144. It was my first time taking it.

You said that 1 year isn't that much time. Is that based on how many hours I should study per week? How much time would be ideal?

Sorry I wrote my previous comment without seeing this. You should sign up for 7Sage's Starter course and start studying now.

3279 karma

@firefoxspark said:

What were your sectional scores? What is your target score?

@10000019

Section 1 (Games): 12 correct, 11 incorrect
    Section 2 (Arguments): 13 correct, 11 incorrect, 1 blank
    Section 3 (Arguments): 9 correct, 16 incorrect
    Section 4 (Reading Comprehension): 15 correct, 12 incorrect

I'd love to hit 170, but I'm not sure if that's realistic. For what it's worth, I have a lot of time on my hands.

3279 karma

@firefoxspark said:
    @10000019

Section 1 (Games): 12 correct, 11 incorrect
    Section 2 (Arguments): 13 correct, 11 incorrect, 1 blank
    Section 3 (Arguments): 9 correct, 16 incorrect
    Section 4 (Reading Comprehension): 15 correct, 12 incorrect

I'd love to hit 170, but I'm not sure if that's realistic. For what it's worth, I have a lot of time on my hands.

Given the timeframe, and how you need improvement everywhere I don't think you should be using supplemental material (by that I mean material that isn't directly for LSAT prep).

What is your budget for LSAT prep? What LSAT books are available at your local library or craigslist?

@10000019 Besides test prep books without real LSAT questions, at my library I've come across:

Preptests 62-71
    Preptests 52-61
    Preptests 29-38
    Some superprep book (not sure which one, I'd have to check)

I've been told that these are pretty nice since they are official.

I do plan to invest in Preptests 72+ since they are more recent.
    I saw explanation guides online for the Preptests online, not sure if I should be looking at investing in them too.

I was looking for not only preptests but some strategy guides. I'm definitely going to buy the LSAT Trainer. I also hear good things about Powerscore and Manhattan Prep, though I'm not sure if I want to get both.

I want to say my budget is $300, but seeing the prices of some of the books I don't think it's enough. If there are any official LSAT test prep books at the bookstore, I probably won’t be buying them and will just sit myself there and read them to save money. I'm also not sure if I can afford courses, though the first place I would look is the starter on here. If there's a course that would be more beneficial than a book, I'd honestly consider it.

• olioliberolioliber Alum Member
    729 karma

Is it possible that the school already know our scores? I've just received a bunch of fee waiver emails

9377 karma

@olioliber said:
    Is it possible that the school already know our scores? I've just received a bunch of fee waiver emails

I think you are mistaking a thread

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@firefoxspark said:
    @10000019 Besides test prep books without real LSAT questions, at my library I've come across:

Preptests 62-71
    Preptests 52-61
    Preptests 29-38
    Some superprep book (not sure which one, I'd have to check)

I've been told that these are pretty nice since they are official.

I do plan to invest in Preptests 72+ since they are more recent.
    I saw explanation guides online for the Preptests online, not sure if I should be looking at investing in them too.

I was looking for not only preptests but some strategy guides. I'm definitely going to buy the LSAT Trainer. I also hear good things about Powerscore and Manhattan Prep, though I'm not sure if I want to get both.

I want to say my budget is $300, but seeing the prices of some of the books I don't think it's enough. If there are any official LSAT test prep books at the bookstore, I probably won’t be buying them and will just sit myself there and read them to save money. I'm also not sure if I can afford courses, though the first place I would look is the starter on here. If there's a course that would be more beneficial than a book, I'd honestly consider it.

If $300 if your budget, I would HIGHLY recommend purchasing the 7Sage starter course ($179) and start there. This will give you a solid foundation and teach you all the fundamentals, which is the most important part of prep, in my opinion. It's likely going to be more beneficial than any book. I've used That green, cheap Barron's LSAT book (it's objectively bad), Kaplan's LSAT book (not as bad, but outdated strategy wise), Manhattan/The LSAT Trainer I actually think are great, but you're going to get more out of the 7Sage course for your money. So I would start there and then see where you're at before you spend money on those. 7Sage is far and away the best value in the LSAT world. Just look at the reviews!

Since you're planning on studying for a year, put aside PTs 36-82 and begin using PTs 1-35 as materials you will use during your learning phase while you go through the course/any books you use.

A year is a good amount of time to prep if you have the time and energy. For that reason, don't worry too much about where you're starting from. A 170 is possible for just about anyone willing to put in the time and work hard.

Good luck :)

• olioliberolioliber Alum Member
    729 karma

@akistotle said:

@olioliber said:

I think you are mistaking a thread

I totally am! Thank you!