Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

how long does CAS usually take?

imlikeabirdimlikeabird Free Trial Member

Hi everyone! I've been lurking for a while but this is my first time posting. I realized tonight as I was about to submit an application that I hadn't actually paid for CAS (which explained why I wasn't getting promotional emails unlike all of my friends). I panicked and just paid for it, but based on my understanding my application won't be read until CAS does its magic. Is that true? If it is, there's no reason for me to submit now, since I might as well work on my personal statement in the meantime. Does anyone have a sense for how long it takes during this time of the year, since I imagine they must be incredibly backed up?

Thanks!

Comments

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9377 karma

@imlikeabird said:
    Hi everyone! I've been lurking for a while but this is my first time posting. I realized tonight as I was about to submit an application that I hadn't actually paid for CAS (which explained why I wasn't getting promotional emails unlike all of my friends). I panicked and just paid for it, but based on my understanding my application won't be read until CAS does its magic. Is that true? If it is, there's no reason for me to submit now, since I might as well work on my personal statement in the meantime. Does anyone have a sense for how long it takes during this time of the year, since I imagine they must be incredibly backed up?

Thanks!

This is from LSAC's website:
    It takes approximately two weeks to process a transcript from the time it is received.
    https://www.lsac.org/jd/help/faqs-cas ("Should I register for the LSAT and the Credential Assembly Service (CAS) at the same time?")

But LSAC will be closed from Dec 25 - Jan 1, so it may take three weeks.

• eesLSAT2017eesLSAT2017 Alum Member
    59 karma

So I’m stupid and did the same thing - and also didn’t get my transcript request in until this week. Am I screwed? I have a scholarship application deadline on january 10th that will otherwise be ready.

• Stevie CStevie C Alum Member
    edited December 2017 645 karma

You need to ask the registrar's office (at your undergrad) to release your transcript to LSAC. You also need to fill out the LSAC transcript request form (fortunately this is simple to do).

After LSAC receives the transcript, they need 2 weeks to review it and compute your standardized GPA.

The whole process might take 3 weeks or longer. Adcoms won't review your application until then.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Allow minimum of 2 weeks and call them if it has been about 3.5 weeks. I was surprised by many schools having switched to external websites to handle transcript requests. This means they'll probably have you sign an authorization form. Some places allow this to be done online with an e-signature, and others require a printed and mailed form.

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

From my experience, it took about 3 weeks

• ellen.gao625ellen.gao625 Free Trial Member
    edited December 2017 9 karma

I made the same mistake. I sent my transcript in September and I received an email in October saying "transcript processed", but I haven't been able to view my Academic Summary Report. I didn't realize that I need to pay for CAS services until now. I am hoping to apply to Penn ED II. Is it too late now??