Query failed: connection to 172.31.3.4:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Worth it to apply ED Round 2 at Penn? - 7Sage Forum

Worth it to apply ED Round 2 at Penn?

andrew-4andrew-4 Free Trial Member
edited December 2017 in Law School Admissions 5 karma

I've got a 3.94 out of WashU, and a 171 LSAT, currently finishing my senior year and applying in the next week. These normally seem like pretty safe numbers for Penn but I have a few main concerns.

1. I had a 166 LSAT before, and some schools like to average. I had just flown home from europe two days prior so I feel like I can write it off as being jet lagged, but still feel like this is going to hold me back in some way

2. I have a minor weed related citation I received a few years back, but charges were dismissed. Again nothing serious, but it's making me consider playing things safe.

3. I'm applying rather late in the cycle.

4. I'm a senior still, with little real work experience (just internships). Plus I'm a Finance major, heard law schools aren't such a huge fan of business majors.

I would prefer Chicago, but just marginally. Given these numbers, should I play it safe and apply ED round 2 to Penn? Or roll the dice and see if I can get into Chicago or Columbia? I've been looking at all the numbers on lawschooladmissions and such, but really hard to get a feel for my particular circumstances.

Thanks guys!

Comments

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

I don't think it's worth it. Your numbers are really good. I don't think your C&F violation is too heinous, so I don't think it should discount you.

I think you can easily get into uChicago and Columbia. I don't know if there's any evidence that uPenn, uChicago, or Columbia averages LSAT scores. Don't sell yourself short!

• JPJ July2021JPJ July2021 Core Member
    1532 karma

I also don’t think it’s worth it. You indicated that Penn is not your top school and with your stats I think you’ll get into both Chicago and Columbia. Chicago in particular is known for loving high GPAs. Don’t apply ED and then always wonder if you could have gone to your dream school. Best of luck!

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

no no no, please don't. you have numbers that will get you some good money in the T13.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4428 karma

@"andrew-4" said:
    I've got a 3.94 out of WashU, and a 171 LSAT, currently finishing my senior year and applying in the next week. These normally seem like pretty safe numbers for Penn but I have a few main concerns.

1. I had a 166 LSAT before, and some schools like to average. I had just flown home from europe two days prior so I feel like I can write it off as being jet lagged, but still feel like this is going to hold me back in some way

2. I have a minor weed related citation I received a few years back, but charges were dismissed. Again nothing serious, but it's making me consider playing things safe.

4. I'm a senior still, with little real work experience (just internships). Plus I'm a Finance major, heard law schools aren't such a huge fan of business majors.

I would prefer Chicago, but just marginally. Given these numbers, should I play it safe and apply ED round 2 to Penn? Or roll the dice and see if I can get into Chicago or Columbia? I've been looking at all the numbers on lawschooladmissions and such, but really hard to get a feel for my particular circumstances.

Thanks guys!

It depends. Are you at all debt adverse?

If so, don't apply ED. You will be totally uncompetitive for scholarships if you do since they don't need to offer you a scholarship to get you to go.

If you don't care at all about money then it is a maybe. Maybe if your parents are paying for law school and you don't care about their finances or they are rich enough it won't make a dent, then applying ED could make sense. It would essentially lock you in at Penn. Of course, you wouldn't get a scholarship there and would give up any shot you had at HYSCCN, but it is an okay outcome if money isn't a factor for some reason. I still would lean against it though.

You only mention Chicago. What about. Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, and NYU? And would Michigan, Northwestern, Duke, Virginia, Berkeley, or Cornell with $$$ not be better than Penn at cost?

• andrew-4andrew-4 Free Trial Member
    5 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" said:

@"andrew-4" said:

Thanks guys!

If so, don't apply ED. You will be totally uncompetitive for scholarships if you do since they don't need to offer you a scholarship to get you to go.

If you don't care at all about money then it is a maybe. Maybe if your parents are paying for law school and you don't care about their finances or they are rich enough it won't make a dent, then applying ED could make sense. It would essentially lock you in at Penn. Of course, you wouldn't get a scholarship there and would give up any shot you had at HYSCCN, but it is an okay outcome if money isn't a factor for some reason. I still would lean against it though.

You only mention Chicago. What about. Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, and NYU? And would Michigan, Northwestern, Duke, Virginia, Berkeley, or Cornell with $$$ not be better than Penn at cost?

For a moment, let's say money isn't an issue, and I'm looking to get into a school ranked at Penn or higher. Would you still recommend applying ED? Is it going to hurt me that I am applying from undergrad with no real work experience aside from internships?

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    edited December 2017 3072 karma

I wouldn't apply ED with your stats.

A gap year could/would increase your odds at top 6, if you can manage it.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited December 2017 23929 karma

@"andrew-4" said:

@"andrew-4" said:

Thanks guys!

For a moment, let's say money isn't an issue, and I'm looking to get into a school ranked at Penn or higher. Would you still recommend applying ED? Is it going to hurt me that I am applying from undergrad with no real work experience aside from internships?

If money isn't an issue, than you should absolutely apply ED if you want to attend Penn. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it with your stats, but like you said, "let's say money isn't an issue."

No, applying as a K-JD won't hurt you with your numbers. It won't help, but LS admissions is a numbers game. You have the numbers and you're going to have a killer cycle :)

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    edited December 2017 4428 karma

@"andrew-4" said:

@"andrew-4" said:

Thanks guys!

I can barely imagine money not being a factor, but I'll give it a try.

If money isn't an issue and your sole goal is to get into a school ranked as high as Penn I think it makes sense to apply ED. It increases your chance of getting into Penn. If you don't get into Penn, it doesn't change your chances at the schools ranked above Penn. Therefore it helps.

If money isn't a factor and your goal is to attend as highly ranked a school as possible I think it is a tossup leaning against applying ED. You may forfeit going to a better school and be forced to attend Penn instead. However, you may also get into Penn when you otherwise wouldn't have got in anywhere as highly ranked. Those two effects are opposite directions, but I think the first is probably a little bigger.

From what I've been told applying KJD hurts a smidge, but not very much.

Good luck!

• jurisprudentjurisprudent Alum Member
    326 karma

Your numbers are competitive. I wouldn't apply ED if I were you.

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

Dont apply ED. You can probably get into Upenn with money