anyone whos been in a similar situation do yall have tips 😠i am writing oct 10th and it is killing me to see this, and ive been having gaps like this every time i do a PT. i feel like atp im just a bad test taker idk
Your BR is great. The issue may be the time. What I did at first is take sections and PTs untimed so you can get the hang of questions, and then once your untimed scores are high, start adding the time. I'm also taking October 10th and I know it's soon but you got this.
Thank you! Honestly 😠I’ve been doing all my drills/tests timed since the start of August. For the most part (except for RC) I’m usually able to complete my section with anywhere from 1-3 mins left, but I definitely do move faster at times, I’ll definitely mix in some untimed tho
I started doing this strategy and it really helps. If not for score improvement, confidence.
I started out doing 45 minute timed sections, and then asked myself how I could get down 1 more minute without sacrificing accuracy.
After a few weeks, I could finish my LR sections with the same if not better scores.
I’m still working on RC also actually just posted about it too lol. What I’m gonna try is focus on trying not to go through every AC which I think is costing me time and also if I really feel confident answer pick it and run. I always have about 2 questions per section that take a bit longer so my next step is thinking how to do these more efficiently or have a mental clock telling me to guess and move on.
@Garrett_dom Hi! How did you manage to get timing down without sacrificing accuracy? What would your thought process be during sections/specific question types? I struggle with this for LR! Would appreciate any advice you have!
Right, so what I noticed with the 10 extra minutes is I could get down to about 4 wrong answers. For me this was close to my BR so that was kinda the trigger that I wasn’t sacrificing accuracy. Having a goal or standard and seeing if you can keep hitting it roughly is good. And obviously make sure you review your wrong answers.
So when I got down to 40 minutes but went up to 7 wrong answers that was kinda a mental note that, okay I’m moving a little too fast and need to try again at this section and most importantly understand why I was still rushing despite the extra time.
I think it’s a big mental game too because you get used to the pacing, you realize it’s more nerves and that you can actually start doing these questions with less time.
One last thing, I’m sorry this is so long, definitely use this too as an opportunity to practice being very systematic and deliberate with how you approach the questions and that your consistently doing that in a section. This is a skill that I found was going away as I was losing time, so not identifying the premise and conclusions and prephrasing and cost me accuracy. Now that you don’t have as much time pressure you can train that muscle a bit more in an entire section.
You can add an extension to record your screen as you test and see what you’re doing in the question. I don’t do this all the time, but it made me notice that a lot of the times I picked the right answer immediately but didn’t feel confident and double checked the other answers and even entertained wrong answers.
thank you so so much for this detailed response! i will definitely try and implement/be more aware of these points you mentioned! thats a great point with the extension as well i fs find myself entertaining wrong answers a lot lol! thank you!!
7 comments
Your BR is great. The issue may be the time. What I did at first is take sections and PTs untimed so you can get the hang of questions, and then once your untimed scores are high, start adding the time. I'm also taking October 10th and I know it's soon but you got this.
Thank you! Honestly 😠I’ve been doing all my drills/tests timed since the start of August. For the most part (except for RC) I’m usually able to complete my section with anywhere from 1-3 mins left, but I definitely do move faster at times, I’ll definitely mix in some untimed tho
I started doing this strategy and it really helps. If not for score improvement, confidence.
I started out doing 45 minute timed sections, and then asked myself how I could get down 1 more minute without sacrificing accuracy.
After a few weeks, I could finish my LR sections with the same if not better scores.
I’m still working on RC also actually just posted about it too lol. What I’m gonna try is focus on trying not to go through every AC which I think is costing me time and also if I really feel confident answer pick it and run. I always have about 2 questions per section that take a bit longer so my next step is thinking how to do these more efficiently or have a mental clock telling me to guess and move on.
@Garrett_dom Hi! How did you manage to get timing down without sacrificing accuracy? What would your thought process be during sections/specific question types? I struggle with this for LR! Would appreciate any advice you have!
Right, so what I noticed with the 10 extra minutes is I could get down to about 4 wrong answers. For me this was close to my BR so that was kinda the trigger that I wasn’t sacrificing accuracy. Having a goal or standard and seeing if you can keep hitting it roughly is good. And obviously make sure you review your wrong answers.
So when I got down to 40 minutes but went up to 7 wrong answers that was kinda a mental note that, okay I’m moving a little too fast and need to try again at this section and most importantly understand why I was still rushing despite the extra time.
I think it’s a big mental game too because you get used to the pacing, you realize it’s more nerves and that you can actually start doing these questions with less time.
One last thing, I’m sorry this is so long, definitely use this too as an opportunity to practice being very systematic and deliberate with how you approach the questions and that your consistently doing that in a section. This is a skill that I found was going away as I was losing time, so not identifying the premise and conclusions and prephrasing and cost me accuracy. Now that you don’t have as much time pressure you can train that muscle a bit more in an entire section.
Sorry, last thing I promise!
You can add an extension to record your screen as you test and see what you’re doing in the question. I don’t do this all the time, but it made me notice that a lot of the times I picked the right answer immediately but didn’t feel confident and double checked the other answers and even entertained wrong answers.
Maybe something worth trying?
thank you so so much for this detailed response! i will definitely try and implement/be more aware of these points you mentioned! thats a great point with the extension as well i fs find myself entertaining wrong answers a lot lol! thank you!!