User Avatar
•

Monday, Sep 28

😖 Frustrated

Help!!!

Hi guys, I am looking for some advice as someone who has been studying for the LSAT for 9 months now, and I am taking my October LSAT on the 9th.

For context:

I started out with a diagnostic at 141, and took the April 2026 test and got a 154. This was around where I was PTing so it wasn’t much of a shock.

Following this test, I signed up for August and started consistently PTing from 158-163, and mostly between 161-163 a month before my test. I took my test in August feeling confident when I opened my score to see a 155. I was so confused how I could only improve by one point.

I ended up getting a private tutor since August until now, but for some reason I still can’t get over the mental block even when taking my PTs now. I often score 80% or higher on sections and drills. I average around a -3 to a -7 on my sections, when they are untimed (I have double time so it’s not much different than untimed) but for some reason I get bad nerves.

I know I can score a 165 and I have done it before, what do I do to close the gap? I have spent thousands of dollars and I feel like I am just wasting my time. Anyone have any advice for what to do to bridge this gap? My reasoning skills are there, but I just can’t seem to get it together when I take the test!!

Disclaimer: I have taken almost every single prep test available through Law hub and 7sage to the point the only tests I have left are in the single digits.

2

1 comments

  • Monday, Sep 28

    I don't know if this'll help you in particular but my biggest advice is lifestyle changes. I noticed my overall anxiety and nervousness drop dramatically. Although the Oct LSAT is quickly approaching, even 1-2 weeks of this is better than nothing. Here's what I recommend:

    1. Ditch social media - Endless scrolling is not good for our attention span or our nervous system. If you don't want to ditch all together, only allow yourself 5-10 minutes at a time with a max limit of 30-60 minutes a day.

    2. Meditate 1-2 times a day (& as needed) - Whether you sit in silence and observe your breath, put on a guided meditation video on Youtube, repeat affirmations to yourself, etc. Start at 5-10 minutes each time and move up if you wish. Endless studies show the positive effects of meditation.

    3. Good sleep schedule - Nothing will mess you up quicker than not getting enough sleep or not sleeping properly. Do everything possible to ensure it.

    4. Exercise / Move your body - Studies also consistently show the positive effects on one's mental and emotional regulation with 20 minutes a day of exercise/intentional movement. Does not need to be strenuous; it can be a walk, yoga, etc.

    5. Confidence / Affirmations - When we tell ourselves that we suck at X, we lock that in as a belief. Even as we practice not sucking at X, we still believe we suck. Then X comes along and no wonder, we suck. This is the kind of self-defeating thing that fuels anxiousness sometimes. This might sound silly, but try to literally tell yourself that you're great at X. After all, you're great at Y, and Y is exactly like X. Brains are good at believing things it hears often or that we tell ourselves often (that's how negative self-talk works!), and we naturally act different based on the beliefs we hold about ourselves. Repeatedly tell yourself throughout the day that you're great at timed tests, that they don't make you nervous, etc. Ignore the logic within you trying to say "But...!"

    I also am very intentional in the 24 hours before the test. The day before, I don't do any studying or frankly even thinking about the exam. I try to make it a relaxing day with minimal stress. I barely touch my phone until after the test. I make sure the morning of is smooth and I have extra time in case anything comes up. Everyone is different, but consider if there's changes you can make in those 24 hrs before the test to calm your nervous system and set you up for success.

    It may be helpful to add to your post if there's something specific you struggle with, like confidence in your answer choices, running out of time, spending too much time on certain Qs than others, general test day anxiety, etc. Also whether you employ any timing strategies (hiding the clock, do you flag & come back to answers, start at the last Q/passage & work your way up, etc.).

    Best of luck!

    5
You've reached the end of the comments.

Confirm action

Are you sure?