One of the biggest things that has caused my LR score to go up is getting better at flagging/skipping questions that are rubbing me the wrong way, while banking the questions that rub my brain the right way. This allows my pacing to skyrocket, so that I can come back later, ideally more relaxed after doing the types that I have an easier time with.
However, with RC I’m having a hard time wrestling with how to parallel this method (no pun intended 😂). With LR, it feels like I can come back later and immediately get back on the saddle, so to speak. But with RC I get worried about having to refresh my memory when coming back. Moreover, It seems much more of a production on RC to shift to the next passage. I.e., you need to clear your brain to get ready for the next narrative and slew of details. This, altogether, results in me spending FAR too long on questions I’m unsure about on RC, as my brain rationalizes getting it right THEN and THERE.
Does anyone have ways that they’ve successfully mirrored the LR skipping/flagging method on RC? Also, I know I keep saying skipping “questions,” but I think this also applies to skipping PASSAGES if one of them is giving you a really rough go.
Any advice is greatly appreciated!
1 comments
Hey! For RC, I’d say it’s kind of like skipping around within a passage instead of just bailing on the whole thing. Once you’ve read the passage, go for the questions that make sense to you first. If you catch yourself stuck rereading the same lines or flipping between two answer choices and not getting anywhere, just pick one for now, flag it, and move on. You can always circle back before you leave that passage, while it’s still fresh in your head.
If you do come back to a question later, just use the question stem or line reference to jump straight to the part you need, instead of rereading the whole thing. Skipping a whole passage is an option, but honestly, it’s usually better to make that call before you’ve spent a bunch of time reading it. Once you’ve read a passage, grab the easy points and just flag the tough ones instead of ditching the whole set.