Weaken questions have been one of my LR weaknesses (no pun intended lol), and I feel like I am finally improving, so I wanted to share my takeaways in case they help others who struggle with weaken questions. Also, if anyone has corrections or additions to what I've outlined, please comment!

  • If an argument says "you should do X solely because of Y", a solid answer choice will point to other factors (e.g., costs, negative impact, etc.) that the author is overlooking that provides a broader picture of why you actually shouldn't do X

  • for a phenomenon-hypothesis, looking for an answer that describes a alternative explanation is a great go to!

  • attack an unstated assumption of the argument. ex: we pay our employees less than other companies because the valuable training compensates. the author is assuming that valuable training is actually beneficial for them. a solid answer choice would attack this assumption by saying they're really experienced, indicating the training isn't necessary or valuable.

  • if an argument is based on an analogy, a good weakening answer will point out a difference between the analogy that points out why the provided analogy is bad

  • a correct weakening answer will not say "well some people claim or think otherwise" because we care about facts, not beliefs (exception: if it is a widely accepted/agreed upon belief). for example, if an argument is advocating for one theory, the correct answer will not describe how some people believe in another theory. if we just shared a contradicting belief, the author of the original argument could just say "okay and I don't believe them?" (it doesn't actually weaken the reasoning in their argument)

8

0 comments

Confirm action

Are you sure?