Hi All!
I'm taking the October LSAT in a couple of days, and I have a few questions! I've taken the LSAT once before, but I took it remotely, so this will be my first time taking it in person.
During the 10-minute break, how will I know how much time I have left if I need to go to my locker or use the restroom? Obviously, I won't have my phone with me. Are traditional watches allowed, or is there another way to keep track of the time?
What am I allowed to bring with me to the testing cubicle? When I take practice tests, I keep it pretty simple: water, paper, pencils, and lip balm. Will they let me bring lip balm in? Lol, I constantly bite my lips, so I always have it with me.
I know there may be people taking different exams at the testing center (MCAT, DAT, GRE, etc.), so I'm assuming people will be getting up and leaving at different times. I feel like I could get distracted by that. Do they provide headphones or earplugs, or should I bring my own earplugs? If you've taken the LSAT at a testing center, do you prefer the headphones or earplugs?
Any other tips? Pls LMK!
8 comments
There should be a clock on the wall in your locker area. Just be mindful of when you left and that you have to go through security again to go back in. You have to be there on time or your test could be cancelled.
I'd remove all labeling from your chap stick, you should be fine though. A water bottle also needs to have all labeling removed. They give you paper and pencils. You can bring two tissues at a time inside. I brought Tylenol and Focalin, they had to be on a tissue out of their containers.
They have noise canceling headphones (my friend and I both agreed we disliked them). I brought my own foam ear plugs and it was amazing, I did not notice anyone around me. They have to be foam and have no string, mine were the pink box from CVS and those were approved without a problem. Some center also have foam ear plugs if you ask, mine did but my friends did not.
Bring a zip-up. It may get cold, you may get hot, and you want to be able to take it on and off without consuming your time. Bring a snack that's quick to eat, someone had like four protein bars. I don't think you'll need that. Stay hydrated! You'll kill this. It's as scary as you let it be.
I’ve taken it twice and both times they allowed me to bring my emotional support Chapstick. I thought ahead and made sure it was clear so just make sure yours is clear and new they will make you open the Chapstick with them.
As for a water bottle I would suggest just a brand new unopened water bottle and take off the label. I’ve done that both times no issues.
Mine provided over the ear noise canceling headphones but both times I also brought squishy in ear earplugs just in case. Got them off Amazon and opened them in front of one of the Proctor people when they TSA wand you.
Right before you leave for your break, the proctor will tell you the time. I think the test center should have a clock in the lobby area. You could also ask the person in the lobby who checks people in for the time as well to keep track of things.
You can bring water and your ID. I don't think they'll let you take in lip balm but you can always ask them. They supply the paper and pencils (it will be ready at your desk) so don't bring your own.
They have noise cancelling headphones at your desk but I don't know if they're any good or not (never used them personally).
Adding on, I thought the headphones worked just fine!
Another thing to note would be that if you like to get things over with, the center that I went to at least started admitting testers as they showed up, even if it was before the designated start time. That might vary by center or how busy it is that day tho
This is super helpful! Thank you guys :D
they tell you the time you leave, and there's usually a clock on the wall in the waiting room so just aim for a 6 min break just in case. that's plenty of time IMO to have a snack and use the restroom. just remember that you will have to "check in" and get scanned again before going back in the room, so account for that.
yes to lip balm! they just ask you to open it up. water must be unopened, and they give you paper and pen
there are dividers and noise cancelling headphones which are UBER helpful.
you'll kill it. dw.
Re #3, people will be getting up and leaving at different times, but there will be walls at your cubby that mostly block your peripheral vision, so it's not that distracting! And if you wear the noise-canceling headphones you can't hear a thing.
I've been wondering about lip balm as well LOL, thank you for asking this. LSAC's website say that earmuffs are part of the equipment that they give you.