PT52.S1.Q24 - in response to several bacterial infections

time_to_gotime_to_go Alum Member
edited January 2017 in Logical Reasoning 276 karma
I know answer choice B is not supported but I can't explain to myself WHY it's wrong.

Is it wrong because the terms "apple" and "citrus" should be switched places? Could it be a right answer choice if the answer choice actually read:

[McElligott's citrus juices are less likely to contain infectious bacteria than is McElligott's apple juice]

Because McElligott's citrus juices HAVE NOT BEEN LINKED TO ANY BACTERIAL INFECTIONS, can't I assume that they contain less infectious bacteria than M'S apple juice?

https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-52-section-1-question-24/

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma
    @lllllllll said:
    Because McElligott's citrus juices HAVE NOT BEEN LINKED TO ANY BACTERIAL INFECTIONS, can't I assume that they contain less infectious bacteria than M'S apple juice?
    No, you can never assume. All we know is that the citrus juices haven't been linked to any bacterial infections. A link to infection is a very different thing from the presence of infectious bacteria. Maybe they're getting tons of people sick, and it's just that nobody has realize it's this juice that's making everybody sick: The juice is teeming with bacteria and there is no link to infection. So this is why B is wrong. They switched out the terms, which is one of their favorite tricks. We really have no idea what level of infectious bacteria is in the citrus juice. We just know that if their citrus juice is swarming with infectious bacteria, then they've so far gotten away with it.
  • tjphilbricktjphilbrick Alum Member
    174 karma
    B is wrong because, while it may be true due to our knowledge of the world/the situation, the passage doesn't specifically say or imply that. With MSS questions, you have to be brutally honest with yourself about whether or not the stimulus supports EXACTLY what the answer choice specifies. This is especially true in the later practice tests (mainly in the 70's), where the test writers will give you an answer choice that sounds great except for one little tiny word hidden in the background that makes the answer choice incorrect if you're able to catch it. Honestly, for me, MSS questions are about reading super carefully.

Your hypothetical right answer would not be correct because, as with above, we don't necessarily know that through the stimulus. It makes sense, and we could easily assume that, but with MSS questions you have to stick as close as possible to the stimulus.

"Because McElligott's citrus juices HAVE NOT BEEN LINKED TO ANY BACTERIAL INFECTIONS, can't I assume that they contain less infectious bacteria than M'S apple juice?"

No, you can't assume that because, as was stated above, being linked to a bacterial infection is not the same thing as having fewer infectious bacteria. One is a relative/comparative term (less, more, etc) and the other is a fact (has been or has not been linked). It's these kinds of distinctions that the LSAT writers are challenging you to pick out.

• time_to_gotime_to_go Alum Member
    276 karma
    Got it. You guys are awesome. Thank you so much! :)
  • tomwyatttomwyatt Alum Member
    41 karma

I see why answer choice E is correct but at the same time cannot count at D as it states "The most effective method for eliminating bacteria from juice is also the method most likely to destroy flavor." The passage states: "Intensive pasteurization eliminates bacteria more effectively than does any other method, but is likely to destroy the original flavor." Exactly what it says. Help