Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Murder Mystery: my epiphany on active reading in RC

Hi all,

I've been finding that the "anticipation" part of active reading for RC has been a challenge and doesn't come naturally for me. This act of asking myself why the author is telling me x has been an arduous, non-intuitive process. However during a break I took today, I watched a fascinating but morbid series on Netflix called "Historia de un clan," that is filled with suspense, crime, and dramatic moments. I started realizing that for many of the new faces and/or objects I saw the main characters interact with, I would think to myself why we are being given this detail by the show's creators. For example in one scene I asked myself, why is one of the supporting characters, a cold murderer, giving his half-eaten sandwich to a random panhandler? Is this panhandler going to be the next victim or is this a moment of genuine kindness? I think this act of anticipating is a way to prevent myself from being caught by surprise and not keel over from suspense. I hate scary surprises lol.

I know RC passages aren't as interesting and filled with suspense as crime series but this comparison clicked for me. I'm going to try and extend my desperate need/urgency to anticipate in suspenseful tv shows to reading RC passages. I find that adding an element of excitement in this way makes my reading engagement and my active reading more natural.

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma
    Same task, but more approachable. What's not to love? Sounds like an excellent exercise and I will almost certainly steal this at some point in the future. Great tip, thanks for sharing!