Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Formal Logic

LSATHopeful-2LSATHopeful-2 Alum Member
in General 109 karma
Hey, quick question. Can one go from

(X ---> Y) ---> Z
~Z ---> ~(X ---> Y)

To

Z & X ---> Y?

Intuitively I feel I can, but I don't recall that exact translation being in the CC. I recall that I could go from (X ---> Y) ---> Z to X & Y ---> Z, but not the one above. If i can make this inference, how and why?

Thanks!!

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma
    That's an interesting question. I'm leaning towards no, but not with as much confidence as I'd like!

So with the (X ---> Y) as a sufficient condition, we aren't making any determinations about whether or not that relationship holds up. X may ---> Y or it may not. All we know is that IF it does, then Z. So, in Z & X ---> Y, it seems to me that we're having to satisfy this condition first. Z is a necessary condition, so we could theoretically deny the sufficient condition in which case Z is free to go either way. But by denying the sufficient, we're denying the relationship between X and Y. So they have nothing to do with each other. So in that scenario, Y is not strictly necessary from Z & X.
  • SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10774 karma

(X ---> Y) ---> Z is lawgically equivalent to:
    (/X or Y) --->Z this is equivalent to:
    /(/X or Y) or Z this can be simplified to:
    (X and /Y) or Z
    I don't think this can be simplified any further.

This above statement {(X and /Y) or Z} gives us two possibilities:
    /Z-----> X and /Y
    /(X and /Y)--> Z

This means whenever Z doesn't happen we will have both X and /Y occur.
    And if we don't have (X and /Y), then we have to have Z occur.

This was tough for me and I am not sure about this at all. @"Cant Get Right" what do you think?
  • Jonathan WangJonathan Wang Yearly Sage
    edited January 2017 6866 karma
    If all apples are bad, then candy is awesome. (A->B) -> C

If candy is not awesome, then not all apples are bad. ~C -> ~(A->B)

So now, your proposed inference:

If candy is awesome and I have apples, then I have something bad. C and A -> B

What do you think?