Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trying to get to 160

tcookPHLtcookPHL Alum Member
in General 300 karma

Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone's had a similar experience to mine and has scored well on their LSATS. I started at a 148 without reviewing the material ever and I'm trying to get to a 160. I'm currently studying about 3 hours per day (I work full-time) and about 5-6 on Saturdays and 5-6 on Sundays. I'm hoping this can get me where I need to be! I'm taking the LSAT in June and need a little bit of encouragement. Any advice is much appreciated.

Comments

• K 440244K 440244 Alum Member
    edited January 2017 104 karma

I started in the low 140s and now my average score is ~160. I'm hoping to write the test in June as well. I started with a different test prep company (which was a mistake) and now I am starting 7sages core curriculum. I would say only take a few practice tests in the beginning (at least through the core curriculum). I went through so many tests not knowing a bunch of fundamentals, which caused me to do poorly, and I didn't properly review them. I spent a lot of time drilling question types, and typing out my thought process on each question and answer choice. Also, practice test retakes have been one of the best resources I have used lately. My target score on these is a 180, and if I don't have a perfect score, I don't fully understand why each question was right or wrong. Don't take the exam if you aren't ready, you can always take it in September. Remember the test is predictable!

Also meditation and yoga everyday and some sort of exercise routine. It's crazy, but when I miss a day, it is reflected in my score. Plus, practicing these will help you stay calm and collected on test day!

Also, read old discussion boards about study methods/point increases/etc. they are great motivation and keep an eye out for some 7sage seminars. I got a lot of my study habits (and have seen the most improvements) from following a bunch of the sage's methods! [Thanks sages!]

• tcookPHLtcookPHL Alum Member
    300 karma

Thank you so much! And its also awesome that you're a fellow yogi! I practice about 3-4 times a week and it definitely helps me focus a lot more. Thanks for the advice!

Best.

• jknaufjknauf Alum Member
    edited February 2017 1741 karma

You can definitely get there by June! If not June, then September! /J--->S ;)

My advice is to study logic games rigorously. Scoring -0 / -2 on games can be achieved through repetition and fool proofing which will translate to a huge bump in your scores(assuming you're not already scoring perfectly on LG). For LR, I really think familiarity and exposure to question types will be enough to propel you into the 160s.

Another piece of advice, don't cap your potential! What I mean is, don't achieve a practice test score of 160 and become satisfied in your studies. Continue to push yourself beyond the 160 mark if possible.

You know the saying, shoot for the moon, land on the stars? or something.. Which is strange because that would you imply if you shot for the moon (160) you could land on the stars (170).

Ok, shoot for the stars, land on the moon!!

Good luck!

• texvd1988texvd1988 Member
    605 karma

My first take 4 years ago had me score at a 149. I am not sure why I took that exam now, but it is what it is. I am currently pting around 160-164. We are in the same place. I have only studied for about 4 months. It's not enough, but you have plenty of time. You can even be ambitious and possibly score a 170. Don't limit yourself. The LSAT is a test that gives you room to improve far beyond what you think you're capable of.

• K 440244K 440244 Alum Member
    104 karma

^ I agree with Jknauf and accountformerlyknownasvd1988, don't limit yourself to a 160 - once you get there, a 170 seems all that much more attainable!
    I also forgot to add to my post (which maybe you already do, but...) in the beginning set reasonable goals. I started aiming for every 5 points. It feels a lot better than thinking something like "it's great I got this score, but a 160/170 is still so far away." I found doing this helped with my confidence. After all, confidence is key.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma

That's around where I started and I scored a 170 on the Sept. exam. Your starting point really is such a bad indicator of your potential. Don't even worry about it. In fact, ignore it entirely. Focus on the material and on mastering the fundamentals. Work hard, study smart, and maximize the effectiveness of your study time: That's what will determine your potential.

• tcookPHLtcookPHL Alum Member
    300 karma

Thanks everyone!!

• iiiSpooniiiSpoon Alum Inactive ⭐
    277 karma

Sorry to beat the dead horse, but I honestly think focusing on LR is the best since 50% of the test is LR and it's got better carry over to RC since RC is essentially one giant LR question. As for LG, it has been really hit and miss for a lot of people now with the addition of a weird game every PT, such that nailing 0 on it has become a lot more difficult. You should still focus on it, and drill it, but going in with the mindset of 0 on LG is not what it used to be.