Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Resume insight?

mal12345mal12345 Alum Member

Hi everyone,

It's my first time posting, but I'd love some insight on my resume. I don't have any friends in law school, and I've been out of undergrad for almost two years now, so any advice would be great. Basically, I graduated from a good university with a bachelor's degree in music performance. I had a high GPA, but aside from music courses in history/theory/performance, all my other courses were in language (I wasn't thinking about law school then, and foreign language study + classical music made sense...). I mean, I think I've accomplished a good amount in the classical music community, but that isn't exactly related to law. After I graduated, I spent a year waitressing, and now, in my second year, I work part-time in retail, do music gigs and teaching, and regularly volunteer with a non-profit in my state. I may have the opportunity to start volunteering with my state's legal aid soon, but I'm basically worried that my resume is too weak. Will a high GPA/LSAT score make up for this? I haven't officially taken the LSAT yet, but like everyone, I would want to score at least 170. Am I worrying too much?

Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Pi031415Pi031415 Alum Member
    248 karma

Is it a requirement for the school you are applying to that you submit a resume? If you've only worked part-time maybe just skip it. Your work or volunteer experience doesn't have to be law related so don't fret about that. I guess the resume will give the admission counselor an idea of what you've been doing since undergrad. I think what a good LSAT score, strong personal statement and good reference letters you will be just fine.

• mal12345mal12345 Alum Member
    38 karma

@cskent329 thanks for the comment! yeah, I do need my resume, but good to know. at least i don't feel as worried.