Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quit my job to make time for the LSAT (not recommended for the faint of heart)... :)

ENTJENTJ Alum Inactive ⭐
edited July 2014 in General 3658 karma
Decided to take a sabbatical from work (well, technically quit) to focus on the test. Time to own the LSAT.

Comments

• bobaliciousbobalicious Member Sage
    127 karma
    Go you!
  • ENTJENTJ Alum Inactive ⭐
    3658 karma
    Thanks andy! I felt a little queasy doing it...but it had to be done!
  • chrijani7chrijani7 Alum Member
    827 karma
    I don't know what kind of situation your in. I am in a similar situation as you, except I didn't quit my job. I turned down a full-time position (just graduated in april) that began in the middle of August as I did not want it to be a distraction to my studies. It was a great job and considering I will need a full-time job after I write, it was tough to turn down. But hey, you have to take risks, and I did not want to take the job so I could use it as an excuse for a dismal LSAT score. Your hard work will pay off, and knowing the sacrifices you made should motivate you that much more to succeed! Good luck man!
  • raytranrraytranr Alum Member
    105 karma
    I did the same thing - quit my job in Shanghai, moved back home to LA, to take the September LSAT. Pwn it!
    edited July 2014 3658 karma
    I've done all the theoretical work that I could. At this point, it's about simulating test conditions on a consistent basis by taking PT's in the morning. I'm fortunate the library I study at is where my test center will be. The end goal is to be able to go into test day and truly feeling it's like any other PT.
  • skempinsskempins Alum Member
    20 karma
    Good to know I'm not the only one who's been considering this!

I have a great full-time job, and I don't want to take it for granted by quitting to study full time. Especially since my boss is encouraging me to go for this possible promotion. No one at work knows I'm studying for the LSATs.

The problem is, I'm exhausted when I get home from work! And of course there are other commitments to think of. Studying of course should come first, but you have to find a balance between life and studying, and not burning out! I find I am burned out due to work, especially since I have a large workload so I tend to work overtime.

My contract is up at work at the end of August, but I'm sure they'll ask me if I'd like to renew... A part of me is hoping that it doesn't get renewed because I don't want to take the risk of quitting. But this job isn't my passion in life.

Anybody else have thoughts on this? I'm so glad I'm not the only one in this situation.
    3658 karma
    Speaking from experience... you have to assess where your priorities are. Eventually going to the best possible law school you can gain admissions to? Or moving up the corporate ladder on your existing track?
    3658 karma
    Last day at the firm...it wasn't as scary as I had thought. Now I'm absolutely excited to get started on the studying! Woot!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Free Trial
    edited August 2014 310 karma
    More incentive to dominate this test. Good luck.
    edited August 2014 3658 karma
    @ttunden: Haha no need to revise your comment. Can your rich parents adopt me? I'll be an awesome brother to you. :)
    20 karma
    @Al [^-^d] thank you for your comment. I definitely know I'd rather go to law school than remain on the course I'm on. The question now is, do I have enough money to last me! Thanks for replying :) good luck.
    edited August 2014 3658 karma
    @skempins: Dude. Not a problem at all. I know it "seems" like a faustian bargain...but you know at the end of the day what it is you want to do. The hardest part of this test isn't the test itself, it's carving out the time and doing what is necessary in order to prepare properly for the test.
    20 karma
    @Al [^-^d] that's so true.
  • lsat 1101lsat 1101 Alum Member
    267 karma

I so empathize with you for doing this. I actually was doing temp work only because I've had bad pain following a car accident. I was so relieved when that assignment was over because I'm also trying to get treatments to heal my awful headaches while simultaneously focusing on the lsat. it feels like a blessing in disguise to be able to make it my full time job studying for this test.

• kimpg_66kimpg_66 Alum Member
    1617 karma

@"lsat 1101" said:
    I so empathize with you for doing this. I actually was doing temp work only because I've had bad pain following a car accident. I was so relieved when that assignment was over because I'm also trying to get treatments to heal my awful headaches while simultaneously focusing on the lsat. it feels like a blessing in disguise to be able to make it my full time job studying for this test.

Just FYI this thread is about 3 years old :)

• lsat 1101lsat 1101 Alum Member
    267 karma

haha thank you for the heads up, i didn't realize, why do all these old t hreads keep showing up first for me? well i hope original poster reached their dream school! lol

This discussion has been closed.