Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Having a difficult time studying LR.

Username 7865Username 7865 Free Trial Member
edited October 2013 in Logical Reasoning 24 karma

Comments

• CJ ShinCJ Shin Free Trial Member
    edited July 2013 302 karma
    Hey Kevin, how many PTs have you done so far?
    If you have done only a few and scoring like that, I am very impressed!

Btw, are you facing any difficulties with time?
    If you are generally missing the harder ones, the only solution is to spend more time on them (and in order to do this, you gotta save time on the easier ones).

Personally, I am still having issues with timing and have to guess like 2 at the end of the section which makes my LR score very volatile..

p.s. If you feel confident on each question type, it would be wiser to invest your time on PTs rather than the lessons.
  • Username 7865Username 7865 Free Trial Member
    edited October 2013 24 karma
  • Justin GilesJustin Giles Free Trial Member
    44 karma
    Kevin, try this:

You say that there's no question type that you consistently get wrong, I think that's very likely. However, really look at the ones you did get wrong, not paying attention to question type, but paying attention instead to what type of logic is playing tricks on you.

Are they causation logic? Statistical tricks? Wordplay?

Look for the similarities between the questions you got wrong, beyond the superficial level like question type, and see what type of reasoning you're getting wrong.

Hope that helps!
  • vitesse951vitesse951 Free Trial Member
    33 karma
    One thing that helped me avoid mistakes with LR is to process the question stem twice. First, read the question stem as you normally would and note your initial reaction. You now know what it wants you to do, right? Now read the stem again and look at every word exactly. Ask yourself, "What EXACTLY it is asking me to do?" Consider ever word. For most questions, you probably will not notice a difference, but there will be some that you do notice one word here or there that can make the difference between the correct answer and the main distractor.

For example, you may see a stem that says "If all of the evidence offered in support of the conclusion is true, which of the following must also be true?" Many times, I would read something like that quickly under timed conditions, and interpret it to mean that everything in the stimulus is true. But, of course, it told you that only the evidence supporting the conclusion is true. The conclusion itself could still be false.

It does take some more time, so you may not want to start doing this when you are taking a timed PT. I started doing it while not under timed conditions and after a while it sort of became automatic. I would see every little detail the first time I read the stimulus. Now it doesn't take any additional time. Hope that helps.
  • spencer.414spencer.414 Alum Member
    2 karma
    Definitely going to try that. I try to read through the stimulus way too fast and then I keep having to reference it. Reading it twice upfront might actually save me some time. It's how I got better at RC (not reading twice, but spending more time on it upfront) so perhaps applying the same strategy to LR would be beneficial.