Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LSAT Tutor??

The 180 Bro_OVOThe 180 Bro_OVO Alum Inactive ⭐
edited July 2014 in General 1392 karma
Has anyone used one? How much did you pay? Was it worth the money? Was it in person or via skype? Would an LSAT buddy be just as useful?

Would love if someone could elaborate on their experiences.

Comments

• Jonathan WangJonathan Wang Yearly Sage
    6866 karma
    I'm not currently in a position to take on any new students, so please don't take this as a solicitation. Nevertheless, I think I can shed some light on your concerns from a tutor's standpoint.

I wrote a post on my personal blog a while back about things you should consider in selecting a tutor - read it here: http://brightlinelsat.com/2013/03/08/selecting-an-lsat-tutor-7-criteria-to-guide-your-search/

Rates will be pegged to the market. Whenever you compare rates, you have to take that context into consideration. Compare apples to apples. Someone who charges $150/hour in Atlanta is making a much stronger statement about their credentials than someone who charges $150/hour in NYC.

An LSAT buddy is very useful to a point - you can learn a lot from someone who's better than you at a certain thing. However, you always have to be cognizant of the possibility that both of you aren't getting it quite right. Essentially, what tutoring vs. study buddy boils down to is how much you're willing to spend versus how much you're willing to risk just not knowing how to do certain things (or learning them and reinforcing them incorrectly). You can get a lot of mileage out of pairing up with a study group, and then only taking your group's collective questions to a tutor. If cost is a concern, that's a great way to split costs among a bunch of people. Tutors are usually open to small group rates; you may each have to pay a little more than just your share of the hourly (for example, 4 people pay $45/hour each instead of just $150/hour total), but overall it's a good way for lots of people to get targeted help on the things they need.

In-person and Skype isn't different enough to be worth commenting about. Honestly, I prefer Skype for a host of reasons (easier to mark up questions, easier to manipulate questions physically, easier to switch gears, list goes on), but I recognize that some people like sitting down with someone in person and I accept that.

Hope this helps.
This discussion has been closed.