Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mistakes on first RC passage

Connor180Connor180 Member
edited February 2017 in General 123 karma

Quick question, I've noticed that I am more prone to missing questions on the first RC passage than I should when I do PTs. I think, I could be wrong because things blur a bit when you study for a stupid long time for the LSAT, that JY mentioned in passing in an explanation that students miss more on the first passage....

So my question: is this a thing that people can be more prone to missing more questions on the first passage? Is it like something to do with warming up as you go through the passages? Or am I an outlier hahaha

Anyone deal with this/ have ideas on how to prevent this?

Edit: the more I think about it, I've noticed I make more dumb mistakes in the first couple of questions in LR and LG than I should. Its not as common for me with those sections but maybe theres a pattern....hmmm

Comments

• BenjaminSFBenjaminSF Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    edited February 2017 457 karma

I have experienced similar trends in my PTs, though usually it is the first section of the test that I tend to miss questions toward the beginning. I have also noticed that my score is generally higher on the second LR regardless of its relative difficulty to the first LR.

In order to mitigate my cold-brain effect going in, I integrated a behavioral modification with the goal that it would help me feel more warmed up. I always start a section by clearing my mind, taking four slow breaths, and then basically saying "I am ready for this" in my head. I do it before every section, and I think it has helped me to prepare cognitively, as it is like an indicator to my brain that it is time to turn on.

It was essential that I practice this every time, as it helped to associate the behavior with cognitive performance. It is entirely possible that this is all a placebo effect, but it doesn't really matter. I feel more prepared and confident, and this seems to lead to better overall performance.

Since you may not know which section will be coming up next during the actual exam, I don't focus on prepping in any specific way. Once I open to a particular section, I do a quick mental checklist of things to remember, though. LG: "Okay, double check all rules, work deliberately, you're not racing the clock." RC: "Look for keywords and transitions, think big picture/little picture." LR: "You got this."

Hope this helps, and remember, consistency is key!