Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blind Review Method Question

7SageThanks7SageThanks Free Trial Member
in General 166 karma

I want to better understand how big of a difference my PT scores are from my BR scores and what I can reliably consider my BR score to be.

Right now I use the BR method, circle the question, don't look at the correct answer, write out the explanations, etc.
After I BR I score the test and usually there are a few questions I got wrong that I did not circle.
What I then do is note those question numbers and try to "blind" review those.

Of course, this sort of defeats the truly "blind" part of the blind review, however most of the time I do not remember what the correct answer was after I scored it nor do I always remember which answer choice I chose while taking the test. However, I do have the added knowledge that at the very least whichever answer I picked the first time around was incorrect.

Let's say I circled 4 questions during the test for BR, and after blind reviewing them I scored the test and of those 4 I correctly changed my answer on 3 during BR and 1 of those I still got wrong on BR. Now I look at the ones I did not circle for BR. Let's say there were 4 questions I got wrong that I did not circle. I then "blind" review those by not looking back at the correct answer or the answer I picked. Assuming I did not remember what the correct answer was during the scoring nor did I remember what my answer choice was on the test, if I got those 4 correct on the not-entirely-blind blind review, could I consider those as part of my BR score?

Usually there are a few questions for whatever reason I clearly remember what the correct answer choice was after scoring it and/or what the answer choice I chose on the test was. In those cases I know even if I got it correct in the second round of review, I had too much information at my disposable to properly consider that part of the BR score.

But of the ones where I did not remember the correct answer or what I chose on the test, can I consider those part of the BR? I am trying to figure out how much simply knowing that I got it wrong can affect the not-so-blind BR score even when I don't remember what I chose on the test and what the correct answer was. And by knowing that I can better gage my room for improvement.

Using the example above, I circle 4 for BR, of those 4 I get 3 right and 1 wrong on BR. I then score the test and got 4 others wrong, none of which I remember the correct answer or the answer choice I picked on the test. On the second round of "blind" review I get all 4 correct. So is my BR score for the test -1 or is it -5?

Obviously, if the method I'm using is anyway a deviation from the the BR method then my score is not necessarily a true BR score. But what I find valuable about the BR score is that it indicates that you probably know the material well enough to get it correct, you just need to practice more and then the gap between your raw score and BR score will close. So if my BR score is -1 it means one thing about how I approach studying and if my score is -5 it means another thing. That's why I am asking these questions.

My scaled score is a reliable ~172, my BR score is a ~174, and under the not-so-blind BR it's ~177. So is my reasonable room for improvement the difference between 172 and 174 or between 172 and 177? Am I fooling myself by saying I'm a 177 and all I need is more practice because the truth is I am more of a 174?

Of course, I could just be way stricter during the test and circle every question I have even the slightest doubt which would be creating a lot more of review work but at the very least I would get a more accurate BR score. In the meantime, however, feedback would be much appreciated!

As a side note, I don't know if it's been discussed on these boards, but to say that your BR score is where you could be with more time and practice is somewhat misleading because when you look at a question on the test it's for the first time, whereas on BR it's at least for the second time. Complex stimuli and question stems become way easier to decipher the more you read them so that could factor in why you get it correct on BR but incorrect on the test. Nevertheless it's the best review method I've found so far, so good going 7Sage!

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma

So first, no, you can not add corrected confidence errors to your BR score. These errors are actually the worst errors you can make and you should give them additional weight and attention.

For the level you're performing at, you definitely don't want to lower the standard for what you mark for BR. You need to be comfortable with your abilities and confident you've got the right answer if you're somewhere in the range of about 85% sure.

And it's not that your BR score is where you can be. It's a theoretical maximum. So it's like traveling at the speed of light. It's as fast as anything can go, but you can't actually get there. It's not a perfect metaphor because there is a point where you can 180 a test under time. I don't know what would happen if you achieved light speed. I suppose time would stop entirely and you would instantly arrive at the end of time?

• 7SageThanks7SageThanks Free Trial Member
    166 karma

That's actually a really helpful explanation. Thanks!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"Cant Get Right" said:
    So first, no, you can not add corrected confidence errors to your BR score. These errors are actually the worst errors you can make and you should give them additional weight and attention.

For the level you're performing at, you definitely don't want to lower the standard for what you mark for BR. You need to be comfortable with your abilities and confident you've got the right answer if you're somewhere in the range of about 85% sure.

And it's not that your BR score is where you can be. It's a theoretical maximum. So it's like traveling at the speed of light. It's as fast as anything can go, but you can't actually get there. It's not a perfect metaphor because there is a point where you can 180 a test under time. I don't know what would happen if you achieved light speed. I suppose time would stop entirely and you would instantly arrive at the end of time?

Beautifully written as always @"Cant Get Right"

To answer your question about light speed... See Star Wars: A New Hope. Very possible with the correct calculations. ;)