Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stagnant LR scores

Zachary_PZachary_P Member

Recently, I've been PTing around 164 -167, and my goal for the June test is 170+. LR continues to be my weakest section, and I am remarkably consistent in missing around 5 questions per section. I BR and study the question types I miss after each PT, but I am not finding any patterns in the types of questions I miss. I feel like once I study and master one concept, I miss a question for a question type I previously thought I understood. In my blind review, I am generally able to score -1 or -2 per section.

Any ideas on how to study since I can't exactly pin down one question type as problematic?

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma

In the high 160's, I don't think you're going to get much return on studying question types. That really shouldn't be your issue here, and your the fact that you can't identify one seems to confirm that.

Without seeing any of your work, my best guess is that the underlying thread in your errors is grammar/language. With a few exceptions, I've never found the logic to be significantly more difficult on curve breakers than it is on easier questions. The way they make those questions difficult is usually through obscuring the subject matter by building complex layers of sets and subsets, and through the extensive use of referential phrasing. Go back and review questions from the last few PTs--specifically ones that you missed under time and corrected in BR.

Is time an issue at all? You're at the level where you need to get aggressive with your pacing. If you're not already there, finishing the section with 5+ minutes left on the clock is a game changer for those last few points.

• Zachary_PZachary_P Member
    659 karma

@"Cant Get Right" Thanks for the reply. A lot of what you said makes sense. Time isn't really an issue. I usually finish the first run through of a section with around 5 minutes left and then go back to the questions I flagged.

I do think grammar gets to the core of it. I tend to miss questions with lengthier stimuli and answer choices that all sound similar/related. I'm going to go back to the early CC to try and fine tune some of those skills. Again, thanks so much. You are much appreciated!