Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will Dropping the LSAT Requirement Create More Miserable Lawyers?

Comments

• Chipster StudyChipster Study Yearly Member
    893 karma

I find it interesting that almost to a person, every lawyer that I have spoken with about my plans say, "Don't do it."

• dennisgerrarddennisgerrard Member
    1644 karma

What's plan!

• apublicdisplayapublicdisplay Alum Member
    696 karma

This article doesn't add much at all. Stop listening to other people's conclusions, critically evaluate why you want to go to law school and do the research you need to resolve your concerns.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"Chipster Study" said:
    I find it interesting that almost to a person, every lawyer that I have spoken with about my plans say, "Don't do it."

Yeah, basically same story. There are definitely some exceptions, but the studies show lawyers are some of the most unhappy/depressed professionals.

As for dropping the LSAT are a requirement, I don't think it will change the misery factor much. The problem I think is regardless of taking LSAT or GRE to gain admittance, is that most people honestly have little idea what lawyers actually do.

@apublicdisplay is correct though, do your own research and what not. However, when you're basically told by every lawyer you meet how miserable it can be, it's kind of ignorant to ignore that. They can't all be wrong....

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

Alot of lawyers I personally spoke with said to avoid law school altogether as well. When I attended a prelaw conference in my undergraduate, the probate lawyer seemed burned out while the DOJ and divorce attournies seemed the most bright-eyed and enthusiastic about their respective fields.

• edited March 2017 524 karma

I actually just talked to some of the prosecutors in my office about this and they said, "Hmm I wonder why we all say this..." One of the lawyers is a 26-year-old recent Berkeley Law graduate (he has never held a job before). The other is in her late 40s and she grumbles about having to write briefs and handle the nitty gritty. These are just a few examples, but I think this is a clear case of personality/expectations not fitting in with the reality of the job. I had a similar experience when I wanted to become an officer in the Marines. The propaganda was so good. Honor, courage, commitment. Me in a nutshell, I thought. I was hooked and I thought I'd pretty much become a warrior. I then married a Marine, was around the culture, and figured out it wasn't for me. The day-to-day realities were enough to deter me from following through with my application.

There's no doubt that being a lawyer can be a tough, grueling, unglamorous job (read: you are literally undertaking a job that by its very nature is surrounded in conflict every day) and you may be simultaneously staring down the barrel of $250k in debt. I agree with the article - not finding a way around that stuff is not smart and would be depressing. If you have done your research and/or have worked in the legal field and thoroughly enjoy it, and if you are planning your financial future wisely, there is no need to take someone's advice on its face just because they are a lawyer. Some of the prosecutors in my office are doing this, as the article states, because it was the path of least resistance. It was not their dream and they didn't know what they were getting into. I think that this is a classic case of knowing yourself and knowing what you're getting into: How's the job market (especially for your field)? What do the employment numbers look like for the school you want to go to? What kind of financial assistance is available? Will the job you want to get be able to pay off any leftover law school loans so that you can live comfortably? How do your interests and personality merge with the specific type of law that you want to practice? Are you being realistic with yourself and at the same time is this your dream? All of these are really important questions.

If another lawyer tells you not to go to law school, ask them why. I definitely think it's worth talking to lawyers to do your research, but I would also try to find a lawyer who enjoys their job and figure out what makes them different from the unhappy, discouraging lawyers. In sum, get a really good idea of the job, the finances involved for law school, and be realistic about how you will adapt and function in that world.