PT23.S3.Q25 - the end of an action

ENTJENTJ Alum Inactive ⭐
edited December 2015 in Logical Reasoning 3658 karma
http://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-23-section-3-question-25/

I'd like some help with this MC question. I correctly labeled the main conclusion and narrowed it down to answer choices (B) and (C). However, I couldn't for the life of me distinguish the distinction between the two answer choices. An explanation is provided via JY in the 7sage ultimate package-- albeit, I am still not 100% confident on the correct answer choice.

Thanks!

Comments

• chrijani7chrijani7 Alum Member
    827 karma
    Hey Al,
    I did the question before reading the answer choices and I do not have JY's explanation, so I do not know what he said. But my take on the question was that the stimulus is confusing but after narrowing it down to B & C, I think I may have spotted your issue.

Both B & C involve justifying a given action by appeal to the value of its intended outcome. However, the difference between the is that B states that an action can ALWAYS be justified, where as C states that can ONLY be justified.

The stimulus states at the end that "it is clear that nothing will justify a means EXCEPT an end's value"

I think the EXCEPT is where the ONLY stands out and calls attention to answer choice C.

I think you can also eliminate B on the grounds that the stimulus also includes "not every end's value will justify any means", as well as "perhaps, there is no end whose value will justify every means". This allows us to eliminate B because for one those statements aren't even the conclusion and they allow us to call into question the ALWAYS pointed out in B.

I don't know if this helps, I am pretty bad at explaining but I hope you at least get something out of it.