Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Oxford Comma Strikes Again

nessa.k13.0nessa.k13.0 Inactive ⭐
edited March 2017 in General 4141 karma

Study break/procrastination material!

https://qz.com/932004/the-oxford-comma-a-maine-court-settled-the-grammar-debate-over-serial-commas-with-a-ruling-on-overtime-pay-for-dairy-truck-drivers/

This $10 million lawsuit came down to an Oxford comma, fascinating. Here's to hoping we don't make this mistake as practicing attorneys!

Comments

• Zachary_PZachary_P Member
    659 karma

I saw this! When in doubt about the meaning in a list, be specific, consider the implied meaning, and then always use the Oxford comma... See what I did there?

• nessa.k13.0nessa.k13.0 Inactive ⭐
    4141 karma

Haha absolutely @Zachary_P . It's insane to me that the lack of punctuation cost a company so much. Hooray for the drivers!

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

Literally was drafting a document to legal document the other day and was like...shouldn't there be another comma before the and? He was like...nahhhh.

May have to show him this tomorrow :wink:

4141 karma

@JustDoIt I definitely would show it to him! It could end up being a costly mistake or at the very least it's an interesting story. :smile:

• J.Y. PingJ.Y. Ping Administrator Instructor
    edited March 2017 14008 karma

I just heard this yesterday on Planet Money and was going to post about it.

The statute says that if you are involved in "the canning, processing, preserving, freezing, drying, marketing, storing, packing for shipment or distribution of perishable foods", then you do NOT qualify for overtime.

The question is whether truck drivers qualify for overtime. It's ambiguous.

http://www.npr.org/2017/03/23/521274657/the-10-million-lawsuit-that-hinges-on-an-oxford-comma

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"J.Y. Ping" said:
    I just heard this yesterday on Planet Money and was going to post about it.

The statute says that if you are involved in "the canning, processing, preserving, freezing, drying, marketing, storing, packing for shipment or distribution of perishable foods", then you do NOT qualify for overtime.

http://www.npr.org/2017/03/23/521274657/the-10-million-lawsuit-that-hinges-on-an-oxford-comma

Always was a fan of the ol' oxford comma! Thank god

edited March 2017 4141 karma

@"J.Y. Ping" said:

I'm intrigued that the appellate court ruled in a way that places clarity over the state of Maine's specific grammatic instruction on the use of the Oxford comma. I'm sure this is because I have yet to be legally educated, so it's fascinating to me that ambiguity trumps specific instruction from the state's legislative style guide, regarding the courts ruling in the drivers' favor. It also makes me curious about other cases where a lack of clarity supersedes a by-the-books-procedure in rulings. Regardless, I've learned just how important clarity is in legal writing.

• xtrfalconxtrfalcon Alum Member
    148 karma

Saw this the other day.... flashbacks to a video where JY explains how something came back as "malpractice."