Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Proactive strategies to avoid making stupid LG mistakes?

CinnamonTeaCinnamonTea Member
edited April 2017 in General 550 karma

Hi all,

So, I've probably made every stupid LG mistake in the book at this point. Writing down rules wrong, making an incorrect inference that carries through into all the questions, reading a rule wrong, question stem wrong... list goes on and on. Obviously, I'm well aware that even a small mistake in LG that carries through in a game can wreck your entire LSAT score.

I previously posted to ask about mitigating the impact of making a mistake when it occurs. My question is, how do you avoid these mistakes in the first place? Specific strategies welcome (and yes, I do double check all my rules after writing them down!)

Comments

• Pink DustPink Dust Alum Member
    403 karma

practice games over and over again everyday. Also start making good habits. When you are reading the rules, keep your finger by the rule and write it down, then cross it off. If you are making mistakes then maybe go a bit slower when doing this step. Take a minute to really just look at the rules you wrote down and your master game board to make sure everything is accurate and you have a somewhat understanding of whats going on. Then start making inferences. But I think all this will come with practice.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

I use my finger to follow the rules and words I'm reading. Cross out/cover up rules that I don't need to avoid confusion during certain questions. I also pair down my rules whenever possible. I'm trying to think what else because I probably make tons of mistakes. I think one thing I do is go into auto-pilot mode and that is when I am most prone to making a mistake/mis-reading a rule. It's like I'm just like: " 7 dogs, awards, 7 places, _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ " I just don't think and take a pause to consider the rules and how they interact before I start diagramming.

Also.

Sometimes you just need to slow down.

• CinnamonTeaCinnamonTea Member
    550 karma

Thanks, all. I should probably mention I've been studying for a over a year already. So I'm at an advanced stage of practice at this point.