Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reading Comprehension method...

JoshMustStudyJoshMustStudy Alum Member
edited August 2014 in General 22 karma
I think the memory method is great but is a bit time consuming, I am thinking of approaching it like this: after reading each paragraph, write a quick memo on the side of the paragraph of the main point, no more than 7 or 8 words. Then when you do the questions you can quickly look back at your brief summary of the main point next to each paragraph. I just think the whole turning the paper over and writing what you memorized down can take a while and a lot of times you forget exactly what the paragraph is saying, but if you write a brief memo about it right after you read a paragraph, it is still fresh in your mind.

Just my thoughts, do you agree? If not, what method works best for you?

Comments

• CFC152436CFC152436 Alum Member
    284 karma
    A method's usefullness is determined solely by its value to the user. If your own method allows you to score well on RC sections, then, yes, you should definitely use it in place of the memory method. I don't annotate at all, so I might not be the best person to answer this, but it seems like your strategy should work fine. Do you remember the structure and main points of the argument? Can you find information quickly when you need to refer back to the passage? If the answer is yes to both of these questions, then I'd say your in pretty good shape.
  • JoshMustStudyJoshMustStudy Alum Member
    22 karma
    Thanks, so I guess I am going to stick to my method. It works for me, I only get -3 at most.

When I write the small brief main idea on the side of each paragraph, I guess I mainly do it to make sure I completely grasped the idea (reassuring myself that I know it) also to know what paragraph to look back to when a question is asking for a certain detail. Other than that, I mainly underline key words and circle what I think may show up on the questions, the latter is SUPER DUPER helpful because after doing numerous RC questions, I can almost always predict what questions will be asked just from reading the passages.