Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Am I doing BR right?

jack.igoejack.igoe Member
in General 544 karma

Hey everyone,

For the Question Sets in the CC, what is your method for blind reviewing them? What I do is go through each of the questions timed (jotting down how long it took me for each one), circle the ones I'm not positive on, and then go back to review the ones I circled without any time constrains. I feel as if that's pretty standard.

However, I was wondering what everyone does after going over the answers. Do you make a notation of your before and after BR performance on the Question Set sheets? For the ones that you got wrong, do you write out the reasons for each answer choice on the Question Set sheet? Basically what I'm looking for is a method for documentation so I know how reference it as well as a way to "shatter my reasoning" for wrong answers.

Comments

• Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    edited April 2017 1997 karma

You have the main part of BR down. I think something that you will see benefit from is by doing BR on clean copies of the problems. It's very easy to be fooled or persuaded by your existing answers. You will (whether it be consciously or subconsciously) attempt to justify that your original answer is correct during BR, because you know that if it was correct, you know the material and won't have to re-learn anything. By using a blank copy, you can analyze the problem without that underlying influence. So definitely do that.

Also, I wouldn't really fret about timing yet. If you are doing practice problems in the CC, it's nice to know how long they take, but don't rush yourself through it. Take as much time as you need to answer the questions as accurately as possible. Even if it's something that you get wrapped around and spend 10 minutes looking at it. You aren't at a point where you need to be worrying about timing, you need to worry about mastery of the curriculum. Once you master the curriculum, THEN you move on to timing. BR doesn't really play a huge factor until you start getting to timed vs untimed (whether it be a section, a game, or an entire test). BR score will then indicate how much know (untimed) vs how well you can perform on a real test (timed). Once you have the comparison between BR and timed, you can focus your studies on problem areas to increase your understanding so you can ultimately solve questions faster/more effectively.