Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Argument Part Questions

The 180 Bro_OVOThe 180 Bro_OVO Alum Inactive ⭐
in Logical Reasoning 1392 karma

I just noticed after months (lol years) of prep that in argument part questions, you'll get a question stem that says something to the effect of: "blah blah blah plays which one of the following roles in the argument"

Occasionally, you'll see an answer choice that says something like "it is information that the argument takes for granted"

"takes for granted" is just another way of saying "assumption." If this is the case, then surely these answer choices must always be wrong because assumptions are, by definition, unstated premises.

Has anyone else found this/contradiction of this?

Thanks.

Comments

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    edited May 2017 10774 karma

@"The 180 Bro_OVO" said:
    I just noticed after months (lol years) of prep that in argument part questions, you'll get a question stem that says something to the effect of: "blah blah blah plays which one of the following roles in the argument"

Occasionally, you'll see an answer choice that says something like "it is information that the argument takes for granted"

"takes for granted" is just another way of saying "assumption." If this is the case, then surely these answer choices must always be wrong because assumptions are, by definition, unstated premises.

Has anyone else found this/contradiction of this?

Thanks.

lol I can't remember exactly, but when I took blue print a long while ago, back when I was still naive ;), in one of the lessons it said that by definition an assumption is an unstated premise so it can't be the right answer. But two lessons down there was a stimulus that talked about how its an assumption and it was the correct answer and a flood of messages below were questioning "how is that even possible?". I am ashamed to say that I never got my answer. lol

• Zachary_PZachary_P Member
    659 karma

I'll take a stab at it... I believe when it says ""it is information that the argument takes for granted" it means there there is nothing to support that claim. So in a case like this, it is a premise that is unsupported by another premise; the author just "assumes" it to be true even though making such an assumption might be unwarranted.

Do you have a specific question in mind?