Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My flaw is flaw

JennLSATJennLSAT Alum Member
edited May 2017 in General 33 karma

A couple of week out from the June 2017 LSAT and FLAW type LR questions are still plaguing me. If you were to spend 2-3 days just handling FLAW with a series of focused drills, what would you do?
Thanks!!!

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited May 2017 23929 karma

@JennLSAT said:
    A couple of week out from the June 2017 LSAT and FLAW type LR questions are still plaguing me. If you were to spend 2-3 days just handling FLAW with a series of focused drills, what would you do?
    Thanks!!!

Is it a particular type of flaw question giving you trouble? Or is it just flaws in general?

If you see you are having trouble with particular types of flaws then definitely drill those...

Memorizing the list of 19 Flaws JY gives in the Flaw's lesson in the CC would be a good start. Also try revising JY's lessons on Flaws, even if you've already watched them.

Also, check out this amazing Flaw Intensive Webinar: https://7sage.com/webinar/flaw-intensive/

I remember watching this last fall and it certainly helped to hear how a Sage (170+ scorer Jimmy) handles flaws!

If you're still having trouble, check out The LSAT Trainer by Kim which does a good job of explaining flaws with normal language and quite intuitively.

• tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma

@JennLSAT

@"Alex Divine" said:
    If you're still having trouble, check out The LSAT Trainer by Kim which does a good job of explaining flaws with normal language and quite intuitively.

Everything @"Alex Divine" mentioned was on point but The LSAT Trainer helped me tremendously. I would've bought the book solely for the flaw sections. Sometimes all you need is a different perspective. I'm still not 100% with flaws but I'm better than I was before. I am currently drilling by flaw type. I noticed that I sometimes eliminate AC simply because I have no clue what they mean. Someone recommended trying to think of something to add to the stimulus that would allow that flaw to be correct for every AC to better understand what the AC/flaw means.

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10774 karma

@JennLSAT said:
    Thanks!!!

Well that depends on where you are going wrong. Like everyone mentioned if its the flaw you cannot identify then definitely do a review of all the flaws and write next to each stimulus what kind of flaw it was and see if you can make your own stimulus with that flaw - kind of like a parallel argument.

But flaw questions can have another difficulty level - which is how the answer choice is worded. There are so many vague ways that LSAT uses to describe the same flaw. If you are going wrong here then you need to practice trying to point exactly what each word in the answer choice could be referring to in the stimulus.

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8689 karma

I started taking a pretty hard stance on flaw questions in my studies. I think one should avail themselves of every single flaw question in history they can get their hands on by the time they sit for the exam. Flaw questions are highly repetitive, so one of the few tricks the test writers have up their sleeves is the degree in which they can obscure this repetition. Imprecision is of no help to anyone so take for instance 22-2-12. The error of reasoning here is at bottom something I was confident I could spot, but is obscured by the clever construction of language.

I believe that if you miss a flaw question on this exam, you should never forget that flaw and the way it appeared. That flaw, however long it takes to precisely isolate the reasoning, should be something that one has in their arsenal moving forward. 22-2-25 is a flaw question I will never forget, like the above example, I know what this flaw is, I just neglected to see it in front of me.

Here are a few tips I have used in my continued journey through flaw questions, I hope they also assist you:
    -pay close attention to the scope of the conclusion, often times the flaw present falls under the umbrella of a conclusion that simply goes way beyond what the premises will support.
    -know the list of common flaws on 7Sage inside and out, know the list front to back and have examples in a notebook of the appearance of the flaw listed.
    -know flaws so well that even if the precise error in reasoning is unclear going into the answer choices: you will know what answer choices are not accurately describing the reasoning and you can work the answer choices from wrong to correct.
    -know the valid and invalid argument forms inside and out-this is a skill that can help on several areas of the exam
    -drill flaws every other day and continue to build a larger and larger well of experience to draw from for future questions.

David

• jknaufjknauf Alum Member
    1741 karma

@JennLSAT When I first started, I printed out the list of 19 common argument flaws JY posted in the curriculum. I then went down the list of all the flaws and created my own argument. This helped to cement the flaws into my head. It's something like the cookie cutter method many advocate for.

Best wishes

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

Also I want to add that if flaw questions are your worst, you should consider going back through the CC and reviewing some of the lessons. Flaw questions are the foundation of the test, so I think it would be worth it to review and reinforce your knowledge of key concepts.