Pre-Test Strategies/Habits for June 2017

Fluccci3Fluccci3 Alum Member
edited June 2018 in June 2017 LSAT 63 karma

Hi,

I have seen a couple threads regarding how people get ready before a test but I was hoping to get some more opinions. The June 2017 test is a noon test so does anyone prepare differently or have suggestions on how to prep/warm up for a noon test? Also, what do people normally do a week before their test?

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Hi there -- a week before the test generally depends on where you are at in your prep. If there's more to learn and work on, I think it's a good time to do some light drilling, BR, and work on any last minute weaknesses. For example, people scoring at lower levels might be able to make big jumps even up to the very end by learning new things or making sharp adjustments. So if there are any weaknesses you think you can work on, focus on that.

Prep/Warm up before any test is a completely subjective decision. Some like to do a few easy games and a handful of LR questions. OR maybe even an RC section... Who knows. the only real credible advice that I've heard and would recommend to everyone is to do questions you've done before and don't bother to grade them.

At this point, you're objective isn't to be leaning new material per say, but to get your mind in the zone for the game.

My plan usually consists of 2 games, 1 RC passage, and several LR questions. All of which I've seen before.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27890 karma

Ask yourself how you'd like your morning before the test to go. What/when do you want to eat? Are you going to drink coffee? When? How much? Are you going to exercise? Meditate? Take a nap? What do you need to do to ensure that at 1pm, you are at your peak level of mental awareness? Do that. And make it a routine. Treat every day like test day and the real thing will, as much as possible, just feel like another day.

As far as studying, time is mostly up. I wouldn't worry about making significant improvements on fundamentals at this point. Stay sharp and build confidence. The week or two before my test, I only did some very light drilling, and I didn't grade any of it. If I bombed a section, it couldn't do me any good to know that because there's no time to figure out and correct whatever happened so late in the game. All it could potentially do is create a crisis of confidence which can only be detrimental.

That said, there are a few things that can show significant gains in short amounts of time. These are mostly test taking strategies rather than any kind of work on fundamentals. If you haven't developed any kind of deliberate pacing strategy, for example, that may very well be worth the effort in the final weeks.

• SamiSami Yearly + Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10801 karma

@rdormer12 said:
    Hi,

I have seen a couple threads regarding how people get ready before a test but I was hoping to get some more opinions. The June 2017 test is a noon test so does anyone prepare differently or have suggestions on how to prep/warm up for a noon test? Also, what do people normally do a week before their test?

Thanks for your help!

Ryan

The week before the test people relax. All the hard work has already been done. At most they will do some light drilling to relieve anxiety.

I would warm up before you drive over there as test materials are not allowed to be brought inside the building. For warm up material I would use sections from a PT you have previously done multiple times and you think you own it. This is just to give yourself that boost of confidence right before the test.

Good luck!!!
    Remember the test measures all the work you have already put in. The hard work of studying was the difficult part of LSAT which you have already done and giving the test is the easy part as you are going there to perform what you know you have already done multiple times in practice.

• Fluccci3Fluccci3 Alum Member
    63 karma

@"Alex Divine" @"Cant Get Right" @Sami

Thank you all for the advice! I will definitely be referring to this thread as I get closer to test week!

• tylerdschreur10tylerdschreur10 Alum Member
    1465 karma

I really like the idea of doing some practice questions that you've seen before. I can definite see the benefit of running through a couple logic games, both for confidence and to get your brain whirring. Excellent advice @"Alex Divine" @Sami