Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tips on how to crack the most recent prep tests

GraceloverGracelover Alum Member
edited August 2014 in General 440 karma
Anyone got any? Aside from BR and perhaps a lot of drilling....
I'm discovering that BR and just simply getting used to the new question types helps me a lot. But I'm still far behind what I was scoring in the 30's and even 50's. On PT 59 I FINALLY broke 170 (almost cried) for the first time ever and then on PT 61 I had a 9 point drop! How discouraging :(. It's like finally reaching the top of a mountain and then finding out that there is still one more mountain to climb..with only 6 weeks left to reach the top (I know, my analogies aren't really original...)

Any help at all would be super appreciated! :)

Comments

• Jonathan WangJonathan Wang Yearly Sage
    6866 karma
    The LSAT did not change dramatically in a span of two tests (59 to 61). To me, this sounds partially psychological (either "omg a test in the 60s gotta get hyped up" or "ah i got a 170 i've achieved my goal already", both of which are destructive), and partially a function of inconsistency (implying that there are aspects of your fundamentals that are still weak).

The solution to the former is to get over your mental blocks however you can; hard to say more without knowing more. The solution to the latter is to figure out where you got lucky in test 59 (if you can't replicate the score, that means you got lucky somewhere) and where you made uncharacteristic mistakes in 61. Odds are your 'true' score is between the two extremes you've set for yourself.
  • GraceloverGracelover Alum Member
    440 karma
    Thank you Jonathan for replying. You are right...being too comfortable or too anxious is disastrous when it comes to the LSAT....finding the right balance of being alert but calm at the same time is kind of hard for me, which is why I've started doing that 9 minute meditation before each test which JY put up in the lessons.

I think I got lucky in 59 because the logic games in that section had the type of games which I like and am particularly good at solving, so I did much better on that section. Also, the RC section in 61 had a lot harder questions/answer choices(at least I thought) than the RC section in 59. I have been scoring 168, 169, 169, 168, 169, 170 prior to PT 61 because I did much better on the RC sections and the LR sections in those tests than I did in PT 61...But I hope you are right that there is not much difference between 59 and 61...maybe that means I have hope...