Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Random tidbit about Flaw questions

tanes256tanes256 Alum Member

I've been working through the Cambridge LR Flaw pkg and I've noticed that a good amount of the correct AC are E. Now before anyone jumps, I wouldn't go as far as to say choose E when in doubt on the question type. There are 284 questions in the pkg and E has been the correct AC enough for me to notice. Pretty useless info here but if I remember I'll give an exact number when I'm done. I believe the questions are from PT 1-38. I wonder if they say something like, "we'll go with E for flaws, C for MSS, A for MBT..." when determining which letter to select for the AC?? Again, this is pretty useless info and why did I hone in on it anyway?? Leave it up to me to be extra! LOL :)

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

I have have the Cambridge Packets and noticed that with flaws the correct answer is usually AFTER the trap answer. So the tend to be later on in either (E) or (D). I've noticed a similar trend myself, though nothing with any other of the packets, yet at least.

That's just my theory for why many seem like E, haha.

• tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma

@"Alex Divine" interesting. I didn't pick up on the after the trap answer part. I'll be on the lookout now!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@tanes256 said:
    @"Alex Divine" interesting. I didn't pick up on the after the trap answer part. I'll be on the lookout now!

They actually do it on every question on the LSAT. Very, very common trap. that's why no matter what I read ALL the answer choices. Be on the lookout in the Flaw packet though, I noticed it so much there, haha. I would get like 6 (E)s in a row and be like DF?

• joe.j.hamjoe.j.ham Alum Member
    88 karma

The LSAT PowerBible also did a similar breakdown of all of the AC's in all of the previous LSATS. (D) happened to be the most common AC of all the others - given the frequency is only up by like .5% or something :)

2573 karma

@"Alex Divine" that helps. You miss so much with this test. It's impossible to spot every little thing. Any little bit helps though.
    @"joe.j.ham" glad to know I'm not the only one. That C thing wasn't really working for me anyway. I'm switching up! LOL

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma

There's a thread somewhere where JY crunched the numbers and I think it turned out that it kind of depends on what data you're looking at. There was one metric that actually seemed somewhat statistically meaningful, but even that is probably a blip. I think the powerscore numbers were blatantly wrong actually. Like you say @tanes256 , kind of useless information, but it is kinda interesting to see where the numbers fall.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"joe.j.ham" said:
    The LSAT PowerBible also did a similar breakdown of all of the AC's in all of the previous LSATS. (D) happened to be the most common AC of all the others - given the frequency is only up by like .5% or something :)

Yeah, haha I remember when I used to think of just going with D when it doubt. I have the 2016 version of the Bibles, is it still D? haha

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

Powerscore has an interesting blog post in which they claim that a tremendously high percentage (something like 80%) of the toughest LR questions of all time (don't remember how they decided which were the toughest of all time) had a credited answer of A.

2573 karma

@uhinberg interesting. I need to read this article just for the heck of it.

2573 karma

@uhinberg thx!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@uhinberg said:
    Powerscore has an interesting blog post in which they claim that a tremendously high percentage (something like 80%) of the toughest LR questions of all time (don't remember how they decided which were the toughest of all time) had a credited answer of A.

Nice!> @uhinberg said:

Thank you!!!! YASS

• ajcrowelajcrowel Free Trial Member
    207 karma

Perhaps it's nothing, but some have speculated that the meta-reason "A" was chosen on those "super-hard" flaw questions is because test takers are unsure about what's really going on on the stimulus and, unfortunatly, use the answer choice to glean insight. The thinking goes, if test takers have the deer in the headlights look, most will skim over A and never really come back to consider it. Perhaps this does happen, perhaps to doesn't.
    In either case, the surest way to solve flaw questions is to determine what the stimulus's author fails to consider or takes for granted. Once that's known, flaw questions become easily solvable.

2573 karma

@ajcrowel I believe the article posted above spoke on this. I do consider A though if I don't find the AC that I prephrased.