GPA Thoughts - For Transfers

gioaragon95gioaragon95 Alum Member
edited June 2017 in Law School Admissions 174 karma

Hey everyone, I have some idea about this topic but I was wondering what others think about this, and if anyone else had other insights or can help.

Since I graduated from my transfer school I technically graduated with two GPA's, one from my community college and one from my University. I graduated from a top university in California and was wondering how the admissions offices view my GPA as a whole.

Do they JUST look at my cumulative GPA cold? As in they just look at that and nothing else?

or

Do they consider also my last two years at the University that I graduated from?

My cumulative GPA is: 3.62
My last two years at my University I graduated from is: 3.75

I am a little unsure about how they read transfer GPA's.

Maybe other transfers can post similar stories and can get answers as well.

Thanks.

Comments

• Freddy_DFreddy_D Alum Member
    2983 karma

Judging from your pic, I think we went to the same school. Adcoms will look at both of your GPAs; however, the cumulative GPA is the one that really matters because it is the one that they will report to the ABA and use to calculate their medians and whatnot

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@Freddy_D said:
    Judging from your pic, I think we went to the same school. Adcoms will look at both of your GPAs; however, the cumulative GPA is the one that really matters because it is the one that they will report to the ABA and use to calculate their medians and whatnot

This is 100% correct. They'll consider both schools. But like my man Freddy says, ultimately the LSAC calculated cumulative GPA will be what the admissions consultants heavily base their decision on. Going to a community college and transferring is so extremely common I can't imagine it having any negative effect. As a matter of fact, a student I know at Columbia Law transferred from a community college to a SUNY state school. Very similar (cumulative) GPA as yours as well.

• TexAgAaronTexAgAaron Alum Member
    1723 karma

I'm sort of in the same boat. I transferred from a smaller university to a large state school. I don't remember my GPA from my first school (haven't put them into CAS yet) but I got a 3.6 with honors at my graduating institution.

I know my first school was around 3.3-3.4. My grades got better after transferring and also I switched majors.

One question I do have is regarding summer classes at community colleges. How do those affect your LSAC GPA? Does it play a big factor? I had to take a couple of classes due to my school being slightly ridiculous of how their intro foreign language classes were offered.

• Freddy_DFreddy_D Alum Member
    2983 karma

@akeegs92 Those grades from the summer courses will be added to calculate your LSAC/cumulative GPA as long as you took them prior to receiving your BA/BS. It's difficult to say how big of a factor they will play because that depends on how many units they were compared to how many units you have completed overall. You can use an LSAC GPA calculator to see how it will affect your GPA. I used this one http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-content/uploads/Law-School-Predictor-LSDAS-GPA-Calculator.htm

• TexAgAaronTexAgAaron Alum Member
    1723 karma

@Freddy_D Thanks for the link. I'll give it a whirl!