Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diversity Statement

tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
in General 2573 karma

Hey, guys! I'm starting to work on my app process and I wondering if I should or how to write a DS? I was recently diagnosed with a cognitive disability. I haven't been in school since 07 so I haven't really had to deal with it in a learning setting but def at work and everyday situations. I also didn't have the issue until after I completed undergrad. Can or how can I write a DS statement if I haven't had to deal with the issue in a learning setting? Or, am I not looking at it the right way? Also, do you think that DS around learning disabilities hint that the writer may have received accommodations? I know we don't really know, but do you think this would help or hurt? Any suggestions are welcomed! TIA

Comments

• Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    1997 karma

I don't really have great advice on the subject, but from seeing similar issues discussed on TLS, I can say that it might be worth while to seek professional help (7sage has admissions personnel for example). I believe that I read that sometimes it might not be beneficial to call attention to a cognitive disability if you haven't dealt with it and proved you can succeed with it (since you had yours after UG). Reason being, it might make adcom's doubt your ability to perform efficiently and/or pass the bar in a reasonable amount of time.

As for the specific diversity letter, you want to discuss your unique circumstances, and explain how you overcame them and what you took away from it. Explain how you've changed into a better person, etc.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25821

The link above has some good examples of DS's that are worth checking over! Good luck!