Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Doing Worse on Second LSAT? Should I Cancel?

greysonfitzgeraldgreysonfitzgerald Free Trial Member
edited June 2017 in General 6 karma

I just took this past June LSAT, and I'm trying to weigh my options. This might be excessively long, so I apologize in advance. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

This June LSAT really killed me. I started off with the LR experimental (which is arguably harder than usual) and then proceeded to the RC (which, like the LR experimental, is considered to be of elevated difficulty--coupled with the fact that RC is my worst section). By that time, my spirits were already crushed and I was feeling very uncertain about my performance. The only section I nailed was LG, which the general consensus is that it was ridiculously easy.

For the past several PTs that I've taken, I have been able to accurately predict my performance. The questions I mark for BR are the ones that I miss. On this test, however, I felt as though I was doubting every other question and had to blindly fill in the last 3-4 questions for each section (except LG) because of poor timing. I've been PTing in the mid 160's thus far.

I also wrote the Feb LSAT and scored a 162. In contrast to this exam, I was only hitting 158's during that prep. I felt pretty bad about that exam too, but it some how turned out significantly better than what was projected from my PTs. Whilst I'd like to hope that the same thing will happen for the June test, the fear of scoring the same (or worse) is terrifying to me. I'll be applying with a 3.92 GPA and am focusing my efforts on the lower T14 schools (Georgetown, Cornell, Northwestern, etc.).

In short, I'm trying to figure out what I should do. Either:
-Cancel my score and stick with my 162
-Cancel my score and try again in September (though I honestly don't know if I have the mental stamina to retake again)
-Keep my score with the hopes of doing better

And if I do keep my second score and it happens to be worse/ the same, how negatively does that impact my application to low T14 schools? Would a 3rd exam make up for it?

Thanks!

Comments

• asaunders2010asaunders2010 Member
    26 karma

I don't have much advise for your questions, I took the June test and most of my friends and I agreed that this was the hardest LG section we have ever done and the softest LR sections. (To be fair, there is only three of us). I ended up completely guessing the last 4 LG questions, but finishing 2 minutes early on RC and 6-8 minutes early on all the LR sections

What I'm trying to say is that you may be over thinking it completely. I left that test absolutely certain I couldn't have scored higher than 150, but the more I think about it, the more I realize it is probably just me being super nervous through the whole test and not having the focus and comfort of PTing at home.

Either way, I hear they take your highest score, and September test is right around the corner if you don't like your June score. Plus there is no limit on amount of times to take it, so I don't see any reason to cancel.

• hon132hon132 Free Trial Member
    122 karma

The majority of the schools just take your highest score. A very small minority take an average to be extra picky but you can always check online or give them a call if you're unsure. You're likely just overthinking it, I sincerely don't believe a bad score would ruin your average so bad, a 3.92 couldn't make up for it.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@hon132 said:
    The majority of the schools just take your highest score. A very small minority take an average to be extra picky but you can always check online or give them a call if you're unsure. You're likely just overthinking it, I sincerely don't believe a bad score would ruin your average so bad, a 3.92 couldn't make up for it.

I also agree with this. Then again, this type of thing is so hard to give advice on because emotions are so important when it comes to score prediction. Your case is made even more challenging because you usually are able to predict which questions you get wrong EXCEPT on the test you ended up doing much better on....

I'll just say if it were me, I wouldn't cancel. I think you might have a habit of psyching yourself out on the real thing.

• ajcrowelajcrowel Free Trial Member
    207 karma

Don't cancel: here's why.

1. You're probably going to retake anyhow to be competitive for the lower T14.
    2. That means you'll need your third take (obviously)
    3. The highest score is what counts, trust me. I had a friend last cycle get a 167, X (cancel), and then a 177. He only applied to one law school and got in (Harvard took him). He was white had basically zero extracricculars and also had a GPA below a 3.7 in a soft major from a mediocre school (my alma mater).
    4. By canceling you won't be able to review your performance. This is what's most important. You now have another real data point to work with. You can't replicate the psychological conditions Pting quite the way you'll expirence it during the real thing. Use this as a way to review what happened and then improve.
    5. You might be surprised with your performance and you can't know with a cancel.

Bottom line, nobody cares about low LSAT's vs cancels anymore since the ABA doesn't make schools average. Every single school is incentivised to take a candidate with a 141, 152, 169 over a candidate with a 168; this is despire the fact that the 168 scorer was obviously better prepared and according to LSAC there's no stastically distinguishable difference in rhe candidates abilities. Just get a high score (once!)