Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blind Review LR

charles27charles27 Alum Member

Hi guys! I know this has probably been asked many times before but I just want to know how you exactly go about BR for LR? I just took a practice section after not taking one in a long time and I got 6 wrong and skipped 2 which is making me feel a little down. LR has been pretty good for me and I have never really done BR but I think the time has come now to implement it so I can really be confident about LR. Thanks for all your advice in advance!

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@charles27 said:
    Hi guys! I know this has probably been asked many times before but I just want to know how you exactly go about BR for LR? I just took a practice section after not taking one in a long time and I got 6 wrong and skipped 2 which is making me feel a little down. LR has been pretty good for me and I have never really done BR but I think the time has come now to implement it so I can really be confident about LR. Thanks for all your advice in advance!

Essentially, I break down each question's stimulus by making sure I write out the conclusion and premises. I also jot down why the premises do or do not substantiate any claims the stimulus makes. I then proceed by writing out why each answer choice is correct or incorrect.

I then usually try to write up a brief summary of each question I get wrong or have trouble with. I seek to understand why I had trouble with it in a useful way. For instance, I rarely find it useful to just say I didn't understand X or misread X, though, that sometimes does happen.

Lastly, I watch JY's explanation of the question and make sure my thought process is similar. Sometimes it's all in how you are approaching the questions.

I usually do it all on Microsoft Word so I can save and review any issues I had on my last timed section before I do another. Just to ensure I don't make any of the same mistakes again.

• charles27charles27 Alum Member
    136 karma

wow that's very comprehensive! sounds great but also very time consuming! do you find that this method has helped you gain a lot of insight into LR questions?

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27859 karma

Proper BR can be very time consuming. But proper BR is the best learning tool we have, so it's time well spent. My process is similar to Alex's. I take a clean copy of the test and use that to review the questions I marked. For each, I break down the stimulus both logically and grammatically, and write out a summary in my own words. I find that being able to create concise and accurate summaries is really important. Under time, it's our mental summary that we really use as we answer questions, so it's important to practice that. Once I'm done with the stimulus, I move on to the answers and do a similar logical/grammatical break down when appropriate. Sometimes the ACs are straight forward in which case this isn't necessary. Then I write out a detailed explanation as to why each AC is either right or wrong.

• AlexanderCMAlexanderCM Member
    174 karma

I don't think this was mentioned already and it's a tad off topic. But the end result of my Blind Review for all sections (but I'm only on LR right now), is any question I got wrong on Raw Score and Blind Review immediately goes into a "hard question bank" I review bi-weekly to monthly depending on how long it takes me to forget them. This way I can confirm I learned from the mistakes I made previously.

I keep a folder on a flash drive dedicated to this.