Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Early Decision Question

I've been thinking about where I want to apply in a few months and if I want to apply early decision to any school. I'm from the midwest and I'd like to stay here at a top 20 school with more of a national reputation; I'd eventually like to work for the federal government or in the AG office of a state government. My top choices are Chicago U, Northwestern, Wash U STL, and Notre Dame.

Wash U and Northwestern both offer full rides if you apply and are admitted early decision, which makes those schools look extra tempting. My question is this. Wash U promises a two week turnaround for a decision from the time you apply. If I were to apply to Wash U early on and receive either a rejection or a note saying I'll be considered with the general applicants, would I then be allowed to apply early decision at Northwestern? Or any other school in any order for that matter?

My gut would say "no" based on the early decision agreement most schools make you sign, but I figured I'd confirm that. I'd appreciate if anyone could help me out!

Comments

• usernameusername Alum Member
    276 karma

So, I'm not entirely sure, but I believe you'd be able to apply to NU afterwards. I think many people apply to WUSTL first under this strategy. I'm pretty sure NU ED is one of the few binding ED applications, though. Idk. TLS and even Above the Law have some very detailed guidelines on ED and application timing. You should check them out.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Yeah, do some more research. It depends on your numbers and applying ED is not always a good idea. You're kind of setting yourself up to get less $$$ and limiting your options as well. If you have the right number to get in and with $$$, no need to ED usually.

• rafaelitorafaelito Alum Member
    edited July 2017 1063 karma

Northwestern only offers 150k for three years not a full ride. Their tuition is $61,784 per year. Just making sure you know that. I think making that type of decision can go either way. It really depends on your LSAT score and overall strength of your application. If I were considering this, which I might, I would ask multiple admissions people to go over my application and ask them if they think I could get enough money from applying regular to match what I would get ED.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@RafaelBernard said:
    Northwestern only offers 150k for three years not a full ride. Their tuition is $61,784 per year. Just making sure you know that.

Yes, absolutely great point! Still a great deal, but that extra money adds up!

• Zachary_PZachary_P Member
    659 karma

All good advice here. Thanks for the catch on Northwestern. Especially with the Chicago living expenses, that $150k only goes so far... but still a hell of a deal! I'll check out the ATL articles as well. Thanks all!