Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What work experience is relevant after I have taken my LSAT?

juhiparsanajuhiparsana Alum Member
in General 32 karma

I am done with my June LSAT and I'm waiting for my LSAT result but I am not sure what I should do till I start applying.
I am an international student from India and did my undergraduate in Pharmacy. My GPA is very low. I have worked at an NGO teaching kids for 2 years before this. Now i am wondering if i should continue working in the social sector which i really enjoy, or get some law related work experience. what would help more for my law school applications?

Comments

• jurisprudentjurisprudent Alum Member
    326 karma

Usually, any work experience is considered "relevant" work experience in the sense that as long as you put forth a significant time commitment and a rationale as to why you're doing the work that you're doing, it could be an impactful point on your resume.

That said, I think your case is special because you're coming from a Pharmacy background. If I were an Admissions Committee officer reading your overall application, my main question would be "Why law?"

I think getting a law-related job would help answer this question for not only the officers, but for yourself. Working in the social sector is very different from working in the law -- although they employ similar skills, they have very different environments that could help you determine and demonstrate that LAW is what you're aiming for.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@juhiparsana said:
    I am done with my June LSAT and I'm waiting for my LSAT result but I am not sure what I should do till I start applying.
    I am an international student from India and did my undergraduate in Pharmacy. My GPA is very low. I have worked at an NGO teaching kids for 2 years before this. Now i am wondering if i should continue working in the social sector which i really enjoy, or get some law related work experience. what would help more for my law school applications?

I think everyone should work in a legal role in some capacity before law school. So I vote to find some sort of law related work. As @yeram.choi pointed out it could potentially help yourself realize if this is what you want as well as add a nice soft factor to your app. Furthermore, admissions people care far less about prior legal employment then you'd think. Where it really helps is when it's time to find a job post graduation.

Good luck!