Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Study Buddies Help

aguirreliz92aguirreliz92 Alum Member
edited July 2017 in General 217 karma

This may or may not be a discussion usually placed in the threads. But is there a right or wrong way to interact and connect with study buddies? So far I have only been able to connect with one but I feel like I just can't seem to get it right. We are all over the place and cannot seem to find the right way to interact to better help one another. We video chat, as we live very far from one another, and we are on two different levels in terms of our understanding of the material. Any advice on how to improve this?

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Well, being on different levels isn't such a bad thing, but if you don't have much to teach him, him explaining the concepts to you could work to his advantage.

Have you used the 7Sage study buddy feature?

https://7sage.com/buddies/

Is there a certain day and time per week that work for both of you that you can make work? I find that going off of tentative plans never work well. Also, some people are just flakes and not worth being study buddies with. Though I wish it weren't the case, I have been a victim of unreliable study buddies, haha.

• vanessa fishervanessa fisher Alum Member
    edited July 2017 1084 karma

I must admit I'm not much of a study buddy type. I was the same way in school. I always preferred listening to professors than having small group discussions because I felt like, why would I want to listen to a bunch of people's opinions that know as much or less than me :) That is just my own personality though

I find using the CC and webinars here more helpful than trying to study consistently with someone that knows as much or less than I do. I do like the discussion board here for asking questions to peers because I usually get some great answers. Also, it can be beneficial to try to explain something to someone to reinforce your own learning, but honestly I just do that now and then on this forum. I wouldn't spend hours of precious LSAT prep time with someone that knows as much or less than me.

Just my take

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

I see a study buddy feature as a way to stay motivated as opposed to a teachable moment. That type of relationship should be reserved for a tutor. I like the idea of study buddies because they can help you stay accountable. Maybe you two meet at the same time and place once a week so you have someone to vent to who knows your struggles and pains; maybe you meet together but study your own lessons at your own pace and the act of meeting together helps you stay on track and accountable.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"vanessa fisher" said:
    I must admit I'm not much of a study buddy type. I was the same way in school. I always preferred listening to professors than having small group discussions because I felt like, why would I want to listen to a bunch of people's opinions that know as much or less than me :) That is just my own personality though

I find using the CC and webinars here more helpful than trying to study consistently with someone that knows as much or less than I do. I do like the discussion board here for asking questions to peers because I usually get some great answers. Also, it can be beneficial to try to explain something to someone to reinforce your own learning, but honestly I just do that now and then on this forum. I wouldn't spend hours of precious LSAT prep time with someone that knows as much or less than me.

Just my take

I tend to sort of be like this too. A loner when it comes to my studies. I like to come on here and chat it up with everyone, but when it comes to actually studying together, I like to just put my head down and figure it out for myself. It's just the way I've always been....

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    edited July 2017 3072 karma

I regularly studied with a friend from early September till his test this past February. The way we made the most of our sessions is by my basically acting as his tutor. Explaining the test to him, helping him when he struggled, and speaking generally about LSAT concepts helped me tremendously. This tightened up all my own skills, even though I rarely ever discovered things previously unknown to me when I'd study with him.

He went from a 148 diagnostic in July '16 to an official 160 on his February exam, which was one point better than his highest PT.